Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate vs Cast Iron Skillet on STEAKS.

Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which do you prefer and why? I was thinking to myself the other day that doing a high temp on a cast iron skillet right on the egg would produce even more of a nice crust on the steak versus a cast iron grate. Any opinions on this?

MP

Comments

• I love doing steaks both ways, but I only use the CI skillet when I'm using P.Prudomme's Blackened Steak Seasoning. Possibly my favorite way to cook a steak(and many fish). Frank's redfish in Atlanta in '08 got me hooked on the stuff. ;)

Mark
  • nlsteve
    nlsteve Posts: 44
    Nothing against a simple grilled steak from the grate (especially if it's a ribeye or T-bone). But if the meat needs a little flavor boost (like a filet mignon or shoulder filet), you get an added advantage from the skillet because you've got the drippings:

A little demi-glace, and a little wine, port or bourbon, or maybe a little fruit jam, added to the drippings, and you've got a restaurant-quality pan sauce.

Just a thought.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    prefer on the grill, less skillet to clean. B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08598a.jpg

I have some old griddles and I don't mind steaks on them every now and then. You do get a nice crust. I have a newer Lodge that is ribbed on one side and flat on the other that is kind of neat too.

DSC08605a.jpg

DSC07546a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    When we want a bit more char on any given cut the CI pan comes out. It works well and gives a flavor shift to the meat. Tjv suggested I try it this way, but I always take the credit for it.....
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    My preference is on the cast iron grate but will sometimes use the skillet when I want a pan sauce to go with it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Where is the best place to obtain a 13" grate for the spider?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I prefer to blacken, more char......

blackeningsteaksxl.jpg

flatiron3.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    My favorite cut is a 1.5" thick (minimum) NY strip, seasoned with Cow Lick, and done in a CI pan with a combo of butter and olive oil to medium rare. A few splashes of JD makes for a spectacular finale! Lastly, the mushrooms that will smother the steak are then sauted for a few minutes. I have a free-standing, hi-BTU, propane burner which allows me to accomplish this from start to finish in less than 10 minutes~~