Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size egg to get?

Options
Red Raider Weekend Warrior
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a large or extra large egg. What are the pro's and con's of each?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get a large and a mini and put all the money you saved into extras of the large and mini......
    Have a large, small, and mini.
    Are you in Texas? If so you need to make the Plano EggFest.... It is not a rule you have to be in Texas to come :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• UofMontanaAlum
    Options
    Try the search function at the top of the forum. I typed "which size egg" and it returned several pages of results.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Click forums then search forum. Put in large vs XL. Been discussed hundreds of time. Just search.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I first got a medium. I live alone and my friends are single so I don't cook in quantity. But a week later I ordered a mini. I like the function of two grills. Today I did ribs in the medium, indirect and lit up the mini for grilled vegs. I love the veratility of two different temperatures and methods of cooking. If you can't decide between a large or XL, perhaps a large plus small would cover your needs. Also when I'm only doing a steak or chops I don't waste lots of lump firing up the medium. Best of both worlds.
    PattyO
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Uh-oh, PattyO! :whistle: I wonder what your 3rd Egg will be? :cheer:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Start with large, you will be surprized at how versatile it is. Then you can add a small later if you want, and you will.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    Get an XLG, in the long run you'll be glad you did. The extra cooking room is really nice when you cook for a group. It just depends on how many people you generally cook for. Buy a reducing ring if charcoal usage is your concern. I've had my XLG for a year and have no regrets at all.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    If you regularly cook for 10+ then the XL makes sense.
    (-) of the XL is if you are cooking for 4 you are burning a lot of extra charcoal.

The LBGE is a great place to start, and most find it to be the most versatile size.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I speak for the large egg. I got one and liked it so much that 3 years later I got another large. It's the classic egg, dimensions and proportions are functionally perfect for cooking above a fire. Many cooking setup possibilities and a lot of food can be cooked with double grid arrangements for a weekend party or it's easy enough to fire up the large to cook for two people weekday evenings. The Xlarge is impressive and has a huge cooking grid and it might be right for you but the large is very capable and adapts to a wide range of cooking techniques.
    Good luck and have fun with whatever size you decide on!
  • Thanks for the great advice. Think I'll start with a large and go from there.
  • When and where is the Plano EggFest?
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I debated with myself over the xl or large. I ended up with the large because of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I'm planning on buying a small or mini in the near future so I can do a low and slow and grill at the same time. I think the large/small-mini combo is better than the xl. However, the xl is nice also. Good luck and you will love whatever Egg you decide to get.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In Plano on Nov 5th and Nov 6th.
    Steve (Hornhonk) will get you all the info. Was a blast last year.
    Much smaller than Texas Fest and much,much more interaction that would help you get on with your new egg.
    Not to take anything from the TexasFest, this is just more like a big family backyard deal.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• It took me 3 months to decide to get a big green egg. I ordered the large, but when my dealer could not supply that because of "demand", we worked out a deal for the extra large as a trade up. All I can say is I would've been very unhappy with the large. Cooked 20# turkey once & 2 18# butts last week.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Agreed. I love my XL for its large cooking surface and use it several days a week for just me and my wife.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I have the XL and haven't been disappointed. We made ours as the centerpiece of an outdoor kitchen and regularly host parties >15 people. We also host a large Thanksgiving gathering and cook two turkeys.
  • RTRMF
    RTRMF Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an XL, it was a gift, but i love it and the larger diameter lets me smoke more ribs without uneven cooking on the tips (thanks to the larger plate setter). If I was going to buy one for myself i would probably get a large because i can cook alot on it. Anyways you cant go wrong with the xl if you don,t plan on moving it too much. Also, i like to cook with my dutch oven on the grill while i cook chicken or steaks so i can fit it all on the xl, im sure you could rig that up on a large too.