Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new style top

Options
biggedso
biggedso Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got back from where i bought my x-large, there is a new style of top. does anyone know what's up.. :huh:

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Yea,they redesigned the dome of the XL for more clearance.They also redesigned the firebox,fire ring,and platsetter.I guess that's what's up :whistle:
  • biggedso
    Options
    can i convert my present one? its only three months old
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    You can,but it will be pricey.You say that yours is only three months old,but in reality,it could be much older.You just got it three months ago,but the distributors and dealers sold out the old stock first,before selling the newer model.Maybe the dealer will give you a discount on the newer parts,but don't count on it ;)
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    FWIW,I also have an older style XL.While the new design is much better,I don't see the need to spend the money to upgrade mine just yet.I can still easily fit 6 butts in there,and I've seen people put even more in theirs :) The old style dome doesn't affect most cooks though.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I agree with Doug on the dome.

You may have the new style firebox, firering, and platesetter (if you got a platesetter).

The new firebox can expand/contract - instead of being solid all the way around, it has a narrow slice in it top to bottom.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    From talking with my dealer the most recent XL to the new XL the biggest difference is the dome(top). The fire box and platesetter were changed some time back. I talked to the mothership about the difference also and the 2 people I talked to kinda confirmed that, but neither of them sounded certain. For what its worth??
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    You are correct Cobra,the dome was the latest in a series of upgrades to the XL.