Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters - You should give it another try

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not only on this forum but many others, there was a lot of negative feedback on the new format of the pimasters show. I think every cook when they auditioned also thought it was the old format. I am in the group of not liking this format and prefrring the competition style.

Having said that, I thing the show still does have something to offer. For example, last night the top two teams cooked their pork butt to use the money muscle. In all the 100's of how do I cook a pork butt I dount any have used the word money muscle. I would say that is a take away much the same way people would screen capture what Johnny Trigg put on his ribs last year. The show also gave me a couple ideas on making catfish, although in my opinion those two side challenges should be for more money not elimination.

Upcoming weeks episodes have Johnny Trigg, LeAnn, and some pretty darn good cooks that I have competed against. So yeah, the format does suck but there are still tips to be picked up and ideas to think about.

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    All I know is that if I had gone a long distance and spent a lot of money for what was supposed to be a BBQ competition, only to be DQ'd because my kool-aid (I meant catfish,coleslaw,fig-newtons,french fries,or spam sandwiches) didn't measure up, I would be livid.
    To then knock out the only team to actually offer up what was required, PULLED pork, in favor of the other two who didn't follow the stated requirements seems to be fraud. I'm sure the money muscle was delish: so are chocolate cookies but that isn't what was supposed to be judged.
    This simply violates the spirit of the contest.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    It means I agree completely :P

Tossing that team from South GA out before they so much as tasted his pork told me all I needed to know about this show. Only the guarantee of a nice appearance check would have kept me from telling that glib, greasy host to shove that catfish up his lower vent.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    RVH wrote:
    All I know is that if I had gone a long distance and spent a lot of money for what was supposed to be a BBQ competition, only to be DQ'd because my kool-aid (I meant catfish,coleslaw,fig-newtons,french fries,or spam sandwiches) didn't measure up, I would be livid.
    To then knock out the only team to actually offer up what was required, PULLED pork, in favor of the other two who didn't follow the stated requirements seems to be fraud. I'm sure the money muscle was delish: so are chocolate cookies but that isn't what was supposed to be judged.
    This simply violates the spirit of the contest.

isn't the "money muscle" just a part of the whole pork shoulder? is the only difference that it was sliced rather than "pulled"?

i didn't like the elimination round before the butts were cooked, but i'd rather watch a bad BBQ show than a bad home decoration show or a show about cupcakes.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    urbandictionary.com can be helpful. :) "Jumped the shark" is there too. Don't ask me how I know. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    It does? Whod;a thunk'it. I have never heard it used in this manner. I just emailed the wife, an English teacher, and asked her about it. She called me a moron......
  • Jeffersonian
    According to the Urban Dictionary it means:

1) well said 2)said in a agreement 3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

LINK, but browse at your own risk!
  • Jeffersonian
    Oops, I shoulda read your post first!
  • Carolina Q
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    ...browse at your own risk!

NO KIDDING!!! That's why I didn't post a link. ;) There's some crazy stuff in there!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    word

hahahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Give it another five years and the UD will be bigger than the OED. :P
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    This is the first time I have watched the show but I was looking for more compatation. But at least the guy with the BGE won.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Those were my exact thoughts while watching last night!
  • Still going to be the same judges. No thanks
  • Jeffersonian
    I'm not even sure it's the judges, at least as it concerns Mixon. I think it's the hare-brained producer whose running the show and turning it into just another variation on Iron Chef, and ruining the entire theme of the show in the process.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Glad you found a Silver lining in THAT TRAINWRECK!!! :whistle:
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    I'm afraid you're right. If you listened closely, Mixon, at the judging part of the pulled pork segment and two teams served up the sliced pork,he said (paraphrasing) "I thought this was pulled pork competition". You see how much his expertise was regarded when they decided the winner.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    EGGZACTLY!!!! A LOTTA BULL-SHEET!!!!! I can learn more on this forum in one night than will be shown on that show in a whole season!!! Myron is a cool dude,I guess,but I say he sold out to the $$$$.Not dissin or Blamin him,HELL,I wuld dance with the Devil for a few EGGGTRA bucks!!! :whistle: :evil:
  • Jeffersonian
    He also had heartburn about judging the winner based on a coleslaw side, with good reason.

I'm going to start a thread on this, but I happened to watch a Tivo'ed episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that had the guys from Southern Soul BBQ (the ones kicked off the Pitmasters show for sub-standard catfish) on it. They made some damn good-looking ribs and pulled pork.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    For all you guys talking about the money muscle....I bet the category wasn't "pulled pork" when they told the contestants that's what they would be cooking. I'm not saying on the television part of it, but before hand. I bet it was "you going to turn in pork shoulder."

If you compete, and you don't know what the money muscle is, you won't win. Everybody turns in the money muscle and very few actually turn in "pulled pork". A lot will turn in both, but the best taste does come from the money muscle. It is also much harder to get the texture right. If it is overdone, you can't cut it, it just turns to mush...but still tastes good.

I don't think Myron was the one who said something about this being a 'pulled pork" category or whatever it was. I'm pretty sure he expected to get just what he got from the winners.