Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My cedar and granite tile egg table (pic heavy)

Hiites
Hiites Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I just finished my egg table and wanted to share some pictures of the process. It wasn't without set backs but more on that later.
1.jpg
Pieces cut and beginning the assembly.
3.jpg
Frame assembled.
7.jpg
Set the frame in for the paver stone and the cleats are on for the shelf boards.
8.jpg
Bottom shelf in and getting a look at the stainless steel screws.
11.jpg
Another view of the bottom shelf and the paver stone in place.
12.jpg
Frame is stained with Cabot Timber Oil.
14.jpg
The plywood and backerboard is on and cut out to accept the egg. Just need to tile it. I wanted to curve the ends so I had to figure out how to cut curves on granite tile. I bought an ARCUS tile blade for a circular saw that was supposed to be able to cut curves in tile and concrete. Awesome product. Look them up online and check them out if you think you will ever need to cut curves in tile. My only complaint with it is it won't fit all circular saws. I own 3 circular saws and it wouldnt fit any of them. I borrowed an old, beat up saw from my neighbor and it fit that one, thank goodness. Next is a picture of my redneck, curve cutting rig. It's hard to see but I got some "Rainbird" irrigation fittings from Lowes and rigged a system to keep water on the blade to extend the life of the blade and to keep dust down.
17.jpg
18.jpg
The tile is on and ready to grout.
22.jpg
Finished table. This was the first time I had ever used epoxy grout and I was pretty pleased with it. There is a wide variety on color selection so you can get close to your tile color and it sets up in just a matter of hours.
So what was the set back? I had carefully measured during the set up to get 15" of clearance from the bottome shelf to the table top....top of the frame that is.....I didn't take into account that 3/4" plywood plus 3/8" backerboard and 3/8" tile was going to make that measurement 16 1/2" from the bottom shelf to the table top. That's not enough to allow the hinge to clear the top when the egg is opened. Sooooooo, I had to put a bottle jack under each end and take out all of the screws that held the bottom shelf to the legs (as shown in the fourth picture), then I jacked the bottom shelf up 1 1/2" and then reattached it to the legs. I didn't even have to take the egg out. :cheer: It ended up not being as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I look forward cooking on it.

Comments