Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket-Fat Side Up or Down?

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Egg Heads! In my continuing effort to further my education on smoking a brisket, I have read and watched more tips than I care to mention. Seems like everyone has an opinion on which way is best as far as temp of egg, temp of meat, resting, carving, etc.

The one thing that I wanted to ask you all this morning was about placement of the brisket in the BGE. I have seen many do it fat UP, saying this allows the fat to render through the meat making the brisket more tender in the end. Others say fat DOWN as this protects the underside of the brisket from getting too done. And still others say it makes absolutely no difference.

Please share your preference and why?

Thanks!

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Fat cap down, for me. Even a plate setter has radiant heat, and after so many hours, it takes a toll.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Down...because I like it that way. :)
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Like jeffinsgf said... you don't want to grill it.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Well there are those that believe that if the fat is up it will somehow melt into the meat keeping it moist and tender but I think that it has been proven that brisket meat is not porous enough to allow fats to soak in, instead it is the internal marbled fats and connective tissue that break down to do this.

On other barbecue forums I have read where competitors prefer brisket fat side down in order to maintain the bark - fat up and the presentation side is in contact with the grate thereby preventing the formation of a uniform bark.

And then there are those that make the decision based on the equipment - if the fire is under the meat (Egg) then it is fat side down to protect the meat from direct exposure to the fire and if the fire is not direct (off set smoker) it is fat side up or down because it really doesn't matter unless you want a uniform bark.

So, for me it is fat side DOWN because...well I use an Egg.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Lets crack this myth one more time. The Fat cap doesn't render THROUGH the meat. It drips off the sides and in theory could wash all that nice rub away.

Fat Cap down.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Fat down...better bark
  • There are several compelling reasons for fat down. Many have been mentioned already. Another is: Do you want grill/grate marks on the presentation side of the brisket? Do you want chunks of your beautiful bark and meat stuck to the grate so your left presenting the brisket to your diners with a either big scabs of bark and meat missing or a big ole hunk-o-fat showing. Easy choice for me.

Fat down.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i like it down because i usually have a raised rack with a butt dripping on top B) trim the butt so theres more bark and less fat, no need for fat on a butt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Down because sometimes the fat will stick to the grid when I pull the brisket off.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Thank you fishlessman for being another Egger that also removes the fat from the butt. I picked up a 9 lb. butt yesterday and I will remove all of the fat cap before applying rub and putting it in the Egg.

Brisket, fat cap down for me.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Down
    http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Go to the above site for the reason. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP