Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to put plate setter and pizza stone in

Options
Cookin Corvette Doug
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new user question of the day: If I was setting up to cook pizza (XL BGE) do I put the plate setter and BGE pizza stone in when starting the fire or do I put it in after the BGE comes up to and stabilizes at high heat? I was wondering if putting the 2 room temperature ceramics in a hot BGE will cause them to crack. Also, should the plate setter legs be up or down? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    When starting the fire.
    Legs down with small spacers between the plate setter and pizza stone.
  • you can put them in anytime without concern for cracking. However, putting them in as soon as you light the fire will speed up the time with which they will preheat, so that is the better way to go time-wise. Legs up or down, just a matter of preference, most go legs down, feet, stone on top, but many also go legs up, grid, then stone on that, either way works just fine
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Doug,

I have a XL and I start the fire, give it a few minutes to get going, then put the PS in legs up, then grid, then concrete paver spacers, and then the pizza stone. When it stabilizes at 450, the pizzas go on for 12-14 minutes depending on how thick the crust and how many toppings. Good luck.
  • Cookin Corvette Doug
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Welcome to the egg family!! You're going to love pizza cooked on the egg. It's the only way we do ours now. This is the way I do my pizzas. Put the platesetter and pizza stone in right after you light the lump. Everything will heat up gradually. So, the setup is, platesetter (legs down), the 3 BGE egg feet that come with the egg on top of the platesetter. Then your pizza stone. Get the egg to 500 degrees and let it stabilize for about 45 mins. - 1 hr. I cook my pizza on parchement paper.
    Some people cook pizza at higher temps but I've always had good luck and a nice crisp crust at 500.
    Good luck!!