Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Turkey Help....Is it safe?

Options
Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a fresh unfrozen turkey breast a few months ago and froze it at home. I took it out yesterday and thawed it mostly. I put it in the fridge last night to thaw it the rest of the way for tonight. It started to freeze again in the bottom drawer. I think it was about 70% thaw last night and now I would saw it is about 50% thaw. Is this thing safe or not...? or will it be any good to eat anyway?[p]Steve-B

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I'm guessing you had it on the counter to thaw yesterday and then tansferred it to the fridge?[p]While it was in the freezer and the fridge it was safe. If you had it on the counter for more than 4 hours then the outside portion that thawed would be at risk. [p]I'd say go ahead and let it thaw in the fridge or pull it and put it under running cold water. If it smells funky, throw it out. If not I'd go ahead and cook it. I wouldn't serve it to anyone with immunity problems, the old or the very young just to be safe.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Actually, I thawed it yesterday with cold water.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Steve-B,
    Then you are good...just pull it and put it back under the cold water to thaw it the rest of the way. Or you can just let it go slow in the fridge.[p]I'm very glad to hear you started the thaw the right way.[p]Enjoy the turkey.