Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Corn Chowder

Options

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Faith, I suppose it just takes talent, or rather, lack there of, lol.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    And if I move to Tennessee like a lot of the Yankees do, I will be called a halfback.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    WOW... my wife just looked over my shoulder and saw your post and pictures and this is now on our to do list this weekend.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hope you both enjoy it Bob! :)
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    Rebecca...that looks totally awesome. I love corn chowder....did you put any cheese in it.email me the recipe please....and I'll swap you a Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe...I made it in OKC. Totally worth the try.

Kim
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rebecca: That looks absolutely fantastic!!! (well, except the boo boo that is... :blink: ) Having grown up in New England, soup is something I can eat 365 days a year (whether it is 10* or 100*). Corn chowder has been a staple/comfort ford with me for as long as I can remember. Roasted sure does kick it up a notch!! Beautifully done!! (Now I just have to get my hands on some gorgeous corn like that!!)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Nice!

Boo Boo is too funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is a danger to ones self with sharp objects.

From experience go the Kettering's ER. Stop by the coffee bar and ask for a towel while dripping blood on the carpet. In lickety split I tell you :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eenie Meenie...Does Stan work for Dewey Screwem & Howe?? :whistle: I hear they are pretty good. B)
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Looks awesome!

How long does the corn take to cook that way? Do you have to keep adding butter to retain moistness?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Whooooaaaa Bubba - I mean Whooooaaaa Webecca

You have given me a weekend cook and my mom and dad thank you in advance - I freeze and send them only the best.

I bet Mrs Mary P. has treated a few of those booboos over the years - bet she has some Scoobie Doo or Hello Kitty bandaids B)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks fantastic, Rebecca. I love corn chowder, but never thought about roasting the corn. I bet that really adds to the flavor. I usually smoke some andouille and put it in, so that adds some smokiness to the chowder, but I bet the corn grilling would even be better.

My weekend menu just got shuffled around. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Looks delicious eenie meenie! Ya know I just don't think of soups, stews and chowders in the heat of summer so the thought does not come to mind to make a chowder when the corn is in season although I love the stuff. A corn chowder would be a welcome change as all I have been eating is roasted in the husk or boiled on the cob. It's a shared posting such as yours that steers me to a tasty change of pace. I'll be making corn chowder following your steps on Saturday. Thanks. :cheer:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That looks great. Thanks for the recipe idea.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Dangit Becky, my tongue is slapping me in the face. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Dang it! I went too reply to this post last night before bed & the computer locked up. I have been thinking about this all night :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Chowda looks fantastic!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Good Morning Kim, I'd love to swap recipes, I love tortilla soup! :) I'll send an email soon.

No, I didn't add cheese, although I've served this soup in with parmesean crostini.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Your killing me Rebecca! I KNOW how good the corn is back there.
    Your chowder looks delicious.Thanks for the recipe.
    Sorry about the BooBoo.
    How'd you like the new kitchen tool?
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    LC, thanks for the compliment! :)

I'm willing to roast a bunch of corn, strip it, and immediately freeze it and bring it to the minifest. I just don't think there will be a 'market' for soup among the eggers. I don't think there will be any fresh corn to bring down by then. If there is I will bring it and just serve it roasted.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Dennis, reminds me when I was a resident. I had two frozen chicken breasts stuck together that I was trying to seperate in a hurry. I was running water over them in the sink and attempting to pull them apart with all my might. I also had one glass in the sink. The thought crossed my mind that I should set it on the counter. But nooooooooo. Suddenly the two pieces seperated and my hands continued in motion and shattered the glass in the sink. I looked at the dorsal surface of my hand and didn't see any blood! I thought, wow, how lucky could I get. But upon closer inspection, I saw the white of my knuckle and a ligament. Then the blood started spurting. I walked across the street to the ER. The intake person was taking their good old time, unitl I placed my hand over her forms and let quite a bit of blood drip all over the place. They called me right back. You can't do that any more. The intake personnel are behind glass. ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Jasper, it took about 10 minutes or so to roast the corn. I brushed it with melted butter once when I placed it on the grill. It smells so good when it's roasting!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Frank, hope your parents enjoy this soup as much as mine! Hope you don't incur any boo boos!!!! I'll give my mother a big cajun 'howdy' from you.

Stay cool! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Gary, I bet Frank from Houma adds andouille to his, lol!

I think I'll make a southwestern version next week....what you think about adding some roasted poblanos, a hint of garlic, and garnish with a dash of Moose Butt and some guacamole?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    eenie meenie wrote:
    what you think about .....

I think I could make it up to Dayton by then. :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, do you know who that Civil War soldier is on your statue in downtown Dayton?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Gary, now you've piqued my curiosity......

You're welcome in Dayton anytime! :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    seeing white is never good :(
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Clay, be sure and post your cook! :) Looks like we might be seeing several corn chowders this weekend, lol.

I might make a cool Hungarian cherry soup this weekend.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Edit: Answer withdrawn. Probably improper.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• eenie meenie
    Options
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    JoJo, you're making me laugh! :lol: :laugh: :lol: :silly: