Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Lump

Options
Delaware Dude
Delaware Dude Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new egger. I had some difficulty getting the egg (a large) up to high heat (600 - 700)for searing. First time this has happened to me. As I had recently changed the location where I kept my lump, I was wondering if the storage location could have an impact on the heating ability.[p]I do realize there are other variables, such as not enough lump in the egg, vents not wide open, etc.[p]Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Delaware Dude,
    Where are you storing your lump now versus where it was before? That could very well be why it was not as hot. Moist lump does not burn as well as dry lump. We keep our lump in a large rubbermaid container with a tight lid. You can also use something like a trash can that has a tight lid.[p]~nikki

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Delaware Dude,
    Excessively damp lump can cause this until it dries out, but then should get full temp. I keep mine stored outside in one of those rubbermaid tubs with a lid, and havent noticed a problem yet...HTH[p]
    Wess

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    WessB,[p]I keep the bag in a rubbermaid tub too. No troubles at all.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Delaware Dude,[p]I keep mine in the garage, on the floor in an open bag or 5 gal bucket, but haven't suffered from damp lump. What I have experienced before is a 20lb bag of lump that was apparently used as trampoline. It was mostly small pieces. I had a hard time keeping it going at low temps. It's also the stuff that caused a lot of flashbacks. I suspect the small pieces could also clog air holes and make it hard to get a hot fire as well. What kind of lump is it and what shape is it in? Of course, any restriction of air flow can prevent the egg from getting hot. There's not too much ash in the bottom of the fire box is there?
  • Delaware Dude
    Options
    nikkig,Yazoo,WessB and Mark Backer[p]Thanks to all of you for your replys.[p]I did start the cook in question with possible more used lump than normal. I did stir it before adding new lump.[p]The bottom of the fire box had just been cleaned.[p]I had my new lump,opened bag, stored outside (under a roof)for a couple of days - before I had always kept it in the garage. It does tend to be a bit damp in Delaware. That is why I began to wonder about the storage.[p]I like the way a number of you guys use a rubbermaid tub to store the lump- I think this is what I will do.[p]I suspect the main culprit in my case, may have been too much old lump vs new.[p]Thanks again to you all.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Delaware Dude,
    I've used the rubbermaid container, but for the past few years I just keep it in the bag in my barn. When cleaning the ash out do you check the area behind the firebox as well as under the grate? Sometimes that little tunnel around the base gets a mound or two of ash that falls through the vent holes when you stir the old lump. Makes a difference in my egg when I make sure the air flow is not constricted.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    WessB,
    ditto, think mine is a 33 gal rubbermaid. no problems. live in nw fla (redneck riviera)humidity is often high enough to make a rock sweat.

• Delaware Dude
    Options
    katman,[p]Thanks for the cleaning tip. In my case, I think I had the egg about as clean as can be since I had taken it apart and cleaned it and only did one cook (from which I may have had too much used lump)prior to my low temp issue.
  • tmEGGer
    tmEGGer Posts: 92
    Options
    Delaware Dude,[p]I dump my lump into one of those plastic storage bins made for going under a bed. It is quite flat and long with small wheels underneath. It has flip up cover flaps on each end for easy access and the lid is tight fitting to keep the lump dry. In addition to sliding nicely under my egg table, the flatness allows me to sort out my lump or select certain size pieces without digging. I use a large plastic ice scoop to scoop the lump into the egg. I bought the bin at one of the well known chain discount stores and the scoop at a restaurant supply house.[p]NutmEGGer
  • Delaware Dude
    Options
    NutmEGGer,[p]Thanks for your note on your plastic storage bin with wheels for storing your lump. I was thinking about something with wheels. Also,your use of a scoop sounds good. Currently, I put on gloves and grab handfulls out of the bag.[p]