Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum. You can also find a lot of information, cooking tips and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Small BGE - Indirect Cooking Question

FairalbionFairalbion Posts: 139
edited 8:36AM in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any techniques they could pass on for cooking indirect on a Small? With my Large, I'm a fan of putting a small rack across a lined baking tin which, in turn, is placed on the remnant of an old broken plate setter (effectively now a thick pizza stone). This all sits on the grid - of course.[p]I guess there is no plate setter available for the Small, so what's the best way to go?[p]Regards to all - sorry I could not make it to the EggFest this year.[p]

Comments

• CampCookCampCook Posts: 157
    fairalbion,
    I take my small camping and do a lot of indirect. I like to cover the lower rack with aluminum foil, then poke a bunch of holes in the foil. I have some bricks I cut in thirds that I use for spacers. I place a second rack on the spacers. In lieu of the bricks, i have also used rock slabs placed pretty much alover the first grid before placing the upper grid in place. In this case, I skip the aluminum foil. Maybe not perfect, but works for me.

• CampCookCampCook Posts: 157
    fairalbion,
    I take my small camping and do a lot of indirect. I like to cover the lower rack with aluminum foil, then poke a bunch of holes in the foil. I have some bricks I cut in thirds that I use for spacers. I place a second rack on the spacers. In lieu of the bricks, i have also used rock slabs placed pretty much all over the first grid before placing the upper grid in place. In this case, I skip the aluminum foil. Maybe not perfect, but works for me.

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    fairalbion,
    You can see a couple different ways to do indirect in my Tips section...HTH[p]Wess

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    WessB,
    Sorry...didnt realize I forgot the link....

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WessB,
    Thank you. This is great.

• CampCook,
    Thanks I'm already loving this thing

• GretlGretl Posts: 670
    fairalbion,
    I have a BGE Ceramic Baking Dish which I use as a substitute for a platesetter on my Small. It's unglazed on the inside, and BGE Green glazed on the outside. It's a perfect base on which to set a pot of beans or chili for indirect baking. See the BGE accessories for information. I have had mine for years, but have never actually used it as a baking dish!
    Cheers,
    G.