Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New idea...maybe

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What if we had an Egg Forum Day each month? Silly thought, but what if we had a set day each month (say the first Friday) where everyone on the forum who wanted to cooked the same entree. Then we share the good, bad, beautiful, and ugly over the next few days.

1. I think we would all get better by taking advice from the resident pros as some would certainly dominate the cook.
2. We could all pretty much relate to the cooks/ advice each other had as we just did the same freakin' thing.
3. We would learn different ways/ twists to do the same things.
4. Could potentially be as popular as the Woosday pics thread. (something to aspire to :woohoo: )
5. I just think it would be cool to all be doing the same thing.

Some certainly will not want to do it, and some wouldn't be able to do it due to conflicts sometimes, but still could be fun and helpful.
No rules but using our beloved eggs, but simple suggested cooks that mandated only the simplest and most common of eggin accessories would be best in my opinion.

What if Mad Max (assuming he doesn't hate the idea), picked what we were all going to cook next month. Over the next few days as folks posted their cooks and pics, he was given the sole authority the next Monday night to appoint the Mayor of the next months cook?

Am I crazy? Is this just a stupid idea?

Comments

• I like it as long as it's not 'loney. :lol:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hitch,
    I don't care if you are crazy and this is a stupid idea...I still like it.
    Things like this have been done in the past but were never set up for a long term running event. Normally just a one time event spurred by challenges and such.
    There is major talent on this forum and I think a once a month "theme" cook would be great fun for all.
    Max would be a great lead to start this out.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Oh...Yea. I agree...
    Tell me more about "solid tonic".
    Saw your post the other day.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i like the idea, i liked it when we had the throwdowns but it got too complicated to fast, would like to see a two week period to put the dish together as well with all the posts one day, no voting, just post what you got and how you did it if it needs explaining. the throwdowns were fun because you could do anything with the ingrediants, it didnt have to be just traditional type cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've recently become a big Gin and tonic fan. My favourite gin for now is Hendricks. I still haven't delved into the really good tonic water's but my wife has raved about them when she's had them before.

I think I will give it a go as well.

Here is a good review article on good tonic:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/cocktails/q-tonic-water.asp
  • Hitch
    Options
    Hendricks is the best gin out there...hands down.

Gotta love the earth tone in it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hitch,

Still waiting for Faith to call another throwdown. I think the voting system bugs were worked out and it was going to work pretty well. We could always ask Zippy to call another

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hitch
    Options
    I guess I'm showing my tail end a little bit here. I sincerely apologize for any stepped on toes about this idea. Not intentional I promise you.
    I should prolly just delete the post if that is possible.
    I need to be more involved on the forum as I have never even read 1 post about a throwdown. I will do better.

Sorry again!

Hitch
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you. My little info on tonic led me to believe your post about solid tonic was a type or process but in fact was your quest for a solid "quality" brand.
    Sorry for the slow snap...
    I have always like the vodka tonic but I will sure give Hendricks a try on my next visit to Spec's.
    thanks again,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • No need to apologize - your idea has merit. I'm sure there is room for two. Your idea sounds much more friendly and fun anyway.
  • There are really good consumer carbonation kits out there now. It would be fun to make tonic at home. Not sure how easy it is to source Quinine though.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Your good, please don't kill your post. I like your idea better as well. Your idea is nothing like the throw down and would or could involve way more people in a friendly non competitive manner.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hitch,

I am sorry if you thought I was being critical, it was not my intent. I thought the throwdowns were a lot of fun and the submissions were anonymous so that folks didn't have to be timid about giving it a try. Nothing wrong with your idea at all. IMHO the more stuff to learn on here the better.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hitch
    Options
    No apologies necessary. I just didn't/ don't really know about Throwdowns. Except that I would take Bobby Flay in one if it was for who is the better soccer player. :woohoo:

Can someone give me the lowdown on what the Throwdowns on here are, and if they involve everyone?

My idea was certainly not to be competetive, but to try to make us all better, and also just for fun. The sole "judge" can base the next months choice for mayor on whatever factor they wanted...
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Hitch, thats kind of how the throwdowns worked but it seems like it became more of a plating and photography throwdown but it was still nice to see all the creativity that went into all the dishes
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    anyone could enter, you can see all the entries on one that had to have rice scallops and pistachios as the main ingredients present in the dish. the winner chose the rules, ingredients, and judging requirements for the next event, it was complicated. this was one of my entries, see the other posts for the other entries

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=715385
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Shortstop,

Well that was only cause shipping the food all around USA, Mexico and Canada for taste tests would have been somewhat complicated...no? What a maroon! :kiss: I did see the clod post and just wasn't giving you the satisfaction. :kiss:

Claude

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm only a "junior egger" but I would love to participate in something like this. I've had my egg for a little over a year and I don't regret one cent of the absurd amount of money I have spent on it and all the "necessary" accessories.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Hitch. We had 4 or 5 different throwdowns last year and I won the last one, so I am supposed to be in charge of the next one. I just never got around to it, and life got in the way. They were getting more and more complicated with anonymous voting, and some people complaining about the format... I know people enjoyed it and we could do it again if someone could come up with a simple way to present the entrees.

You idea sounds good and I think we have enough interested eggers that would participate.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hitch
    Options
    Mary,

Thanks for your post. Honestly, I think this appeals to folks like you and me more than some folks here because we are still learning a lot. Everyone here would say that they are constantly learning, but in reality we are surrounded by some real pros.
    My thoughts are that if I am cooking the same thing as everyone else, I can't help but get better results in the future. Also, it seems like a cool thing that everyone can take part in if they want, and post or not post. Zero pressure type cooking too. There are a bunch of non posting stalkers here that would TOTALLY do the First Friday thing in my opinion. Over time, it would probably be what would get them to actually begin to participate on the forum.

Also, if it got real competitive, I would NEVER win. I "enjoy" my cooks too much to always remember to take plated pics! :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    At what point do you start buying the high end water and making your own ice for the drinks? LOL
    We have a good quality water filter on our ice maker but I know it's not the best. When we go to friends for drinks you can taste the bad ice as it melts into your drink. At times I'm looking for a fresh drink at the half way point or drinking it way to fast to avoid the melt.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I never get around to taking pics. I am usually quite happy by the time plating comes around. Could be the combination of cooking "with" wine and the thrill of eating whatever is coming off the egg.
    So how about someone just picks a general idea for a dish and anyone that wants to participate tells us how they did it, how it turned out, and anything unique they did to or put in the dish. So maybe it isn't so much a competition as it is sharing experience and knowledge. Pics could be optional but welcome. Is that kind of what you had in mind, Hitch?
  • Right. I get your point. Check this out:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

Sounds great (I think) but where would you get ¼ cup powdered cinchona bark??? Weird.

I'm thinking about delving into a bit more molecular gastronomy so maybe I'll figure it out. As an aside, I've been meaning to make these, just haven't sourced the materials (I think you can get them on amazon). I had them at a fancy LA restaurant a few months ago. Pretty damn tasty.

http://starchefs.com/events/studio/techniques/JAndres/index.shtml

Not my photo but you get the idea:
    ://www.flickr.com/photos/26839885@N08/2818982782/#/photos/26839885@N08/2818982782/lightbox/
  • Hitch
    Options
    Yes...that is what I was thinking.

Also, for example, what if that First Friday's ingredient was boneless pork chops. Specific, but open on however you wanted to do them.

1. We got a lot of different takes on pork chops and how to do them.

2. People would post pics of their dinner, and we would see some good ideas of sides for our future pork chop cooks.

3. Some folks on here get quite specific on their prep and setup and seasonings. Again...all quite helpful.

The only reason to have 1 lead person each month is so that a new person can get somewhat randomly chosen each month to be the Mayor of First Friday the next month.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
  • Hitch
    Options
    Good Yager...this may be catchin some steam here.

I like to host on Friday nights, so this could be quite helpful.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I always keep Hendricks around. Good stuff. Now if I could just find a source for Pilavas brand Ouzo.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    great idea. I'll play along.