Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Things!!!!!!

Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
#1 I could my first pork butt on the egg using the advice that I received from you all - a recipe from the book "Diner's Drive-in's and Dives" and my new Thermapen. And it was "AWESOME"!!!!!!!!

#2 Has anyone ever done a fruit pie or cobbler in the egg? Recipe's?

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    If I started baking on my egg my wife would really think I lost it...lol That's what an oven is for, just my opinion.

What was so good about the pulled pork recipe?
  • Yes to the second. I've made a peach pie. I don't see any benefit to cooking a pie on the egg over cooking it in the oven besides - 'yes, you can'.

Cook it indirect at the same temp as you would in the oven. Make sure the smoke has cleared, preferably after a cook so the egg is running very clean. Also, out the pie on egg feet (not sure if this is necessary but i do it).

Good luck!
  • The great thing about the pulled pork was that I did it - and I think it cam out perfect. Second - the rub that I got out of the book was excellent
  • Mark0525
    They are great on the egg. What was the rub like? Did you make it yourself?
  • Hey mark,
    Saw your new table on the NakedWhiz site the other day. Congratulations.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've baked calzones, home-made pot pies, biscuits, and it works really well. But the big treat for me has been bread. I fussed around over a years time trying to make a consistently good sourdough loaf. I worked with my kitchen range thru most of the winter. Just as summer started, I got to a method that produced decent loaves 2 out of 3 times. Moved to the Egg, and the recipe has worked every time. I suspect that the moisture retention may be the factor. Just a few sprays of water onto the preheated platesetter/pizza stone, and I'm getting really good oven spring, much better than with a pie plate half full of water in the kitchen oven.
  • What is the bread recipe?
  • Mark0525
    Thanks, I just looked the other day and didn't see it. I will have to look again...thanks
  • Here is the recipe for the rub I used that was fantastic

2.5 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • i disagree with you . ..when done right, fruit pies, crisps and other deserts done on the egg come out with an extra depth of flavor you just can't get in an oven....the trick is to have a clean environment and just the right amount of smoke. . .
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    I tend to agree for the most part with using the oven inside for atleast something, but the best Peach Cobbler my wife said she ever had was just a plain on dump ingredient style Peach Cobbler that I did after a random cook. We were both just craving it, egg was still hot, so I get er steady at 350* and exactly an hour later we had some awesome PC. Key was the lack of smoke due to the fire being lit for a good amount of time. Also, of course, did it indirect. Platesetter legs up, grate, pyrex dish with PC ingredients dumped in. Dangit...I'm going to the store on the way home and gonna do it again. B)
    I may have a picture buried in my Eggin files somewhere, but basically it will just look like a PC on an egg. :)
  • I think brownies come out well with a hint of smoke.

I don't really like any smoke on my pie (although I couldn't really taste any because it was after a pizza cook).
  • here is an easy recipe for apple crisp or peach/blueberry crips on the egg....

key is to have a really nice, clean fire ...don't do this right after you've done a long lo and slo butt/brisket/ribs....make sure your egg is clean, your plate setter is clean, and you have fresh lump, no extra wood, let your fire get well established ...350 degrees, plate setter in feet up with grid on top of plate setter. ...you will get a nice 'rustic' flavor to the fruit and crisp topping....

take 15 apples, peeled and sliced (or 15 peaches peeled and sliced with a pint of blueberries) ...

layer in heavy casserole dish (i use a le creuset enammeled cast iron dish)

for the topping. ...

2 sticks of butter
    1 1/2 cups of flour
    2 cups of sugar
    3 - 4 heaping tablespoons of cinammon

'cut' the butter/flour/sugar/cinammon into each other until well mixed and 'crumbled'....cover the fruit with this mixture ..

put the dish into the egg for approximately 1 hour until the fruit is soft and bubbling and topping is nice and browned ....

best served with good vanilla ice cream!!

DSCN0426.jpg
  • Tweeve, the trick is to not taste 'smoke'...the trick is to get a nice 'rustic' taste in your food...i do a lot of italian and french provincial cooking in my eggs ....i'm a big fan of jacque pepin's book "the apprentice", all about his growing up in the restaurants in france in the 40s and 50s, and having to stoke the ovens and stoves in those restaurants with coal and/or wood. ..and if you think about it, all great original french and italian (and most other foods) recipes all originated in wood and/or coal burning environments...not unlike our eggs. . .and with our modern stoves and ovens, we have lost those flavors that those foods and their originator's originally achieved and intended us to experience ....with the egg, you can experience them if you want to . ...i do souffles out in the egg and tortes and all sorts of casseroles, etc ... and i get those rustic flavors. . .and not smokey flavors. ...and by doing so, i take those foods up a notch beyond what you can achieve in your oven. ...try doing a simple cheese souffle in your egg (with a really clean burning fire), and see if its not a notch above what you can do in your oven!! ...
  • Hitch
    YEP!!!
    What Mad Max just posted!

However, I will be doing it tonight after the egg has been chuggin along for an hour...not 20 hours. B)

Also, I will be using my 5 qt. cast iron dutch oven. And by good Vanilla Ice Cream...I go with Breyers or Mayfield. Cause I don't live in Chattanooga where I would get CLUMPIES!!!!
  • hey, nothng wrong with breyers vanilla bean!! good stuff in my book! ...and its peach season now. .so go wiht the peach crisp if you got em!
  • Hitch
    You know it...like the blueberry twist as well.

Just decided to skip lunch...which means that I will eat half the dessert.

We tend to be able to find the perfect peach down in here in GA.
  • yeah, the blueberries work great with the peaches...they basically will melt right into the juices and it will be like a compote around the peaches. .you will love it!! . .
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My own, blended from several I tried, and adapted to my habits and inexperience. :side:

Start with two cups sourdough starter that is at top strength. I use the San Francisco culture I bought from Sourdough International. Its very vigorous. The starter is equal weights of all-purpose unbleached flour and distilled water. Two cups is roughly 300 g.

I add another 300 g. of flour, usually all purpose, but often blends of all purpose and semolina or whole wheat. I add another 120 g. of water, no hotter than 105 F, bringing the total hydration to 60%. I add 7 g. of salt.

Mix everything with a spoon, till its pretty firm, rather ragged, but cohesive. I put just enough oil on my hands to prevent sticking, and stretch and fold the lump 6 - 7 times so it is rather smooth in texture. I transfer it to an oiled bowl, and cover. I then stretch it every 45 minutes for 3 - 4 hours. The room temperature has a lot to do with how fast it rises between foldings.

Give it on last folding, by which time the dough is quite smooth, and form into a loaf. Drop into a lightly greased pan, cover, and wait till double in size.

Pre-heat Egg, platesetter legs down, w. the pizza stone on top, separated by a few pebbles. Take dome to 350, and wait till stone reaches 350 (about 30 min.). Spritz the stone ans 'setter a few times, put the loaf on, and check back at around 45 minutes with thermapen to see if the interior is 205.

Cool till room temperature.

My results are not completely consistent, with the texture ranging from medium light to dense, and the crust from light colored and softish, to dense and crunchy. Nevertheless, they all make good sandwiches, and have a really nice taste.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That looks so good...
    I have not made a desert of any kind on the Egg or oven.
    I need to burn my XL clean this weekend so this might be just the reward.
    Any other tips?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • not really. ...main thing is the clean egg!!. ..and be patient once you light the fire to wait till you just get the nice clean blue smoke, or no smoke at all. . .sometimes i've waited as long as an hour before i put the dish in the egg ...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Max,

Absolutely. Same is true of all Asian cuisine, European,
    African and both of the Americas

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sure thing, sounds like a fair idea and a solid opinion. I'll give it a go. I've been jonzing to make a quiche on the egg.

As an aside, please DO NOT adopt the WessB format to posts. Not to be a grammar Nazi, hell I'm not even close to perfect, but the '...' is ... really ... annoying.... and ... horrible. It's like reading a post written by Darth Vader. A simple period at the end of a sentence is all that is necessary.
  • yep, give it a try.. .but remember, no smoke at all..something eggy and cheesy like a quiche will definitely pick up the smoke. . .and the reason i type a bunch of ". ..." like that is because i tend to converse in incomplete fragments and sentences. . .i was doing it long before i ever met wess, and i do it on emails as well, even at work if its not a formal communication. .. and i don't capitalize...just my style. . .not gonna change. . .so sorry, if you don't like it. . .this is part of being a family here tweeve, you need to learn to accept folks for the way they are, not the way you'd like them to be :-)
  • Fair enough - just wish that somehow applied back to me. Oh well, such is life. :)

Thank for the tips.
  • Luke...I...am...your...father...
  • i would, and it does. ...you just need to read what you write before you hit "send". ..and think "hmmm, have i insulted anyone with this one??". . .

also, WMK gave you back your handle right? why aren't you using it so that we will all know when someone is trolling with your name and when they aren't?? i don't get that. . .
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Sounds like a plan.
    I need to burn my XL for a few hours to get some white back so I will toss it on after the clean.
    Picked up one of these pans a few weeks ago on sale for $35.00.
    http://www.amazon.com/Emeril-Enameled-Cast-4-Quart-Jambalaya/dp/B001EZ7EIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281462673&sr=1-1
    I think it will work great.
    Thanks again...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yes, WMK has allowed me registered status. I usually post as a guest simply as a matter of common courtesy. There are some people who don't want to read my posts so by staying as a guest then they don't have to.

I make the exception when I am posting one of my cooks. Sometimes errors are made in the recipe or photo posting and it's nice to be able to go back and correct it using 'edit'.

As for the trolling I think most people know when it's a Troll and when it's me. It's been interesting to see some of my largest detractors St!ke, Village Idiot rise to my defense. I've said it before: classy.
  • Mark0525
    Tweev, where did you see my table? I've looked through all the pictures