Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've been doin' a little eggin' lately

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got the egg for Christmas and used it several times shortly thereafter but seems that after that I just had a hard time finding the time to do anything other than work. BUT, this week I cooked some pork chops and burgers and I can't wait for the weekend to do some more. The chops were a gift for Christmas. Let me explain. My brother in law knew that I was getting an egg for Christmas so he got me a gift certificate to the grocery store, what a combination. So, I used it to buy all sorts of meat to try on the egg. The chops were about 1 3/4 inches thick and wonderful. I marinated them in a citrus marinade and seared them about 3 minutes a side at 700 then shut it down for another 5 minutes or so. Meat thermometer said rare to medium and I took them off, WOW!! I did some burgers last night, mixed the meat as I usually do with some ketchup, Worches...(sp) sauce, onion, garlic etc. Put some Andreas steak seasoning on them (see prior posts on refrigeration etc. for how to get this if you're interested) and blasted them for 3 minutes a side at 750 then shutdown for about 11-13 minutes. Again, WOW!!! I've done a million burgers on the trusted old Webber Kettle but nothing compares to the flavor in these burgers. Actually, I'll still probably have to use the Webber at times cause I found out that the medium egg only holds 7 of my size burgers. I either need additional space to cook (Webber) or another egg (preferred). I don't think Santa will oblige me on the latter option, at least not for awhile, so I'm going to have some friends fighting to get the "egged" burgers at parties. Anyway, I'm Hooked. Have an 11 pound brisket to try my first low and slow this weekend. Wish me luck. Sorry about the wordiness but the excitement took over.[p]sprinter

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Cool story. Let us know if you have any questions about that ol' brisket you be cookin. Chunk-o-chests are loads of fun, and probably the most rewarding thing you can cook.[p]BTW, you can trade in that medium for a large within 30 days.
    Glad to hear you are having great experiences so far!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter,[p]Check with the dealer that the Egg was purchased from. Usually you can upgrade from a medium to a Large for approx. $100 within 1 month of purchase. That brisket is gonna take a while so be prepared for a long cook.[p]Regards,
    Jobu[p]

• Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    Options
    sprinter, Sounds like a classic case of "hooked on EGGing," to me! I suffer along with you; guess what though, we are not alone. Just read the posts...ya have to love it. I don't know if you read my last post, but my family has placed me on "BGE Probation." It happened on the heels of my explosion of EGGING mulitple times every week during my vacation at Christmas! There is light at the end of this tunnel though; word has it that I may be allowed to cook the Mexican Meatloaf tonight....hmmm could be the beginnig of something beautiful here. [p]Enjoy your EGG. I learn something every single time I visit the forum. These are good folks that faithfully post here and answer even the most elementary of questions. You'll enjoy that too. Best wishes from the mountains of North Georgia! r1
  • sprinter
    Options
    Jobu,[p]I'd heard about the upgrade but have decided to stay with the medium. I've come to like it already and we seem to work well together. Kinda' like a part of the family already. I'm planning on about 1.5 hours a pound on that hunk o beef that I have. Going to start it Saturday PM, hopefully ready to eat Sunday Afternoon, if all goes well.[p]sprinter

• Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Are you talking about the brisket??
    IMO, needs more that 1.5 hours a pound. With Elder;s hotter method that is probably a good estimate, but if you plan on doing it low and slow, it'll be more like 2-3 hours/pound.[p]When I did Elder's method, I used 270 over pizza stone, and a six pounder took 10 hours. Same meat at 225 would probably take 15-18 hours. [p]I did a 12 pounder at 220 for 26 hours.[p]Good luck! You motivate me to do another one.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter,[p]It's cool isn't it! We typiclly "egg" 3-4 times a week, rain or shine. Yes you can egg in the rain...just make you a wood spacer that will keep the cap up say 3/4 inch. That way the smoke still gets out and the rain don't get in. Don't just egg on the weekends...egg all the time![p]Motorman

• sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the follow up. I plan to put it in the green monster sometime Saturday afternoon. If I put it in about 3-4PM I figure I should have enough time to eat "sometime" on Sunday between Noon and 6. I planned on 220-250 for the temp. (still working on holding that more constant, don't have a daisy or slide daisy, just the ceramic cap) Thanks for your timing, it will help me approximate mine a bit better.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Mary uses a firebrick to control the top airflow.
    She swears by it. I think a daisy is very useful for low slow, but it is definitely possible without it.[p]If you need practice, try a test burn. A good low/slow fire takes more than an hour and up to 2 hours to stabilize.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    sprinter,
    Not going to upgrade? After reading your contentment with the Medium Egg, I figured you would have to have the big one. I even asked BGE Home in Atlanta if they could make me a Giant Egg. The lady suggested that I just buy another and have 2. My kinda girl! For us true "Q-Hoggs", the large is the only way to go, and you can still cook small if need be. It's kinda like someone asking you if you would rather go visit the seashore, or would a motel w/swimming pool be just as satisfying. The Big Green Egg is a more manly possession,, but if you are comfortable enough with your masculinity, you probably won't start hav ing feelings of inadaquacy right after your upgrade grace period ends. I am thinking about getting me a medium to go with my big-un, just to be able to sear without cranking up my slow coals while getting ready for one of them all-nighters.. I just bought a 9.5lb. butt, four slabs of baby-backs, five 1.25inch thick PorterHouse T-bones, a large bag of wings, large bag of thighs, large bag of breasts, and a half gallon of hooch. The Guru of Grease is coming to the island for a long weekend. I will start marinating tonight and enter the planning phase. This weekend, if we survive, will probably be memorable. Pics will follow, if I can figure out how to post them.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Sounds like a typical "southern boy"! Kain't walk 'n chew gum at da same time! Ya want us ta send ya some crayons? Dey's easier ta use than dem new fangled contraptions!!!!! Why did you get such "skinny" porterhouses? Didn't the butcher know how to cut 1 3/4" to 2" thick steaks?
    Make sure You & the Guru of Grease keep the hooch from the Egg's! I'm beginning to enjoy your posts, I'd hate to have a "grease" fire or have a "coal" blow-up into a full blown blaze![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: You're making me anxious to get down your way for some serious Q'ing! Not to mention the fish & shrimp.

• sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]There's an excellent description in the recipe section under Elder Wards NC pulled pork recipe. Sounds like the way to go. Any ideas other than this would be appreciated.[p]sprinter
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]If you can't figure how to get the pics on your web space to display here, send me an e-mail and maybe I can help by putting them on my server and providing you with the url so we can see what you got going on out there on that island. Please inclued the Hula girls as well :~)

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bob,
    A man after my own heart![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    I have lost a few eyebrow hairs from opening the egg just as it was getting to the meltdown stage. A little embarrassing for a firefighter to get burned worse at an ourdoor cookout than in all 28 years of fighting "snot-slingers". Being an ex-FF, you probably recognise that term. And by the way, dem T-bones wuz akeually kloser to 1.5 ianches thik... U'll sea when we sho u da pitchers.

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob, I will probably do that. And I will definately include pics of some of the wildest Hula Girls on the island.

• Grumpa
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]Send only one per e-mail so they wont jam things up. After I transfer them to the server I will e-mail you back with the url for each one and you can then include them with your posts. [p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Yeah! I 'member da term very well! Almost did the same thing myself yesterday! Talking wid my wife and started to open the dome and boom, it hit me! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! Wasn't standin' close 'nough to get da eye-brows, but it scorched a couple of knuckles![p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bob,
    I think we finally got the boy headed in the right direction![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob,
    O.K. The Guru of Grease is coming from Alpharetta, shoud I get him to stop and pick you up on his way down? And from your profile, we must be husbands-inlaw. I'm married to the worlds most best-est lady too. Thanks. You should get something in email Sunday by the latest.

• Grumpa
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]Oh man, Alpharetta, that's right next door. Wish I could jump in the taxi and tag along but, I'm up to my ear lobes in work right now. Keep the offer open for later and I may take you up on it :~) If we're not husbands-inlaw then we must be married to the same woman and I hope that's not the case :~)[p]Check your e-mail for further instructions on sending me the pics and I'll be watching for them. I'm sure everyone will be anxious to see you post them with an island setting.[p]Bob

• Grumpa
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]He's already in the direction most of us would like to be :~)

• Grumpa
    Options
    Think about it. On an island with a computer hooked to the internet, a BGE and the one of the world's best ladies for his wife. Now, just how much better can life get?

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MxMeatloaf2.jpg
    <p />Ranger1, you'll love the mexican meatloaf - I made it using 1 lb of ground chuck and 1lb of ground pork - it was great - the recipe has been moved from 'New Recipes' to 'Recipes'

• Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    Options
    Gfw, It's on tonight! If I had not seen your post, I would have never given it a thought! Thanks and I'll keep you posted....r1

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bob,
    Ain't that the truth!