Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Round Roast

Options
Fingers
Fingers Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About a week ago GFW posted a recipe from "hankern'2grill" for sirloin steak marinated in a teriyki based marinade. one of the things mentioned was the ability of the marinade to tenderize the steak. I used the marinade on a bottom round beef roast. First let me say that the flavor was GREAT. However, either I need a stronger tenderizer or the beef I am buying is tough enough to kick start a 747. As I said I liked the Flavor of the Marinade which was equal parts teriyki sauce, frozen pineapple concentrate, and burgandy wine the marinade took 48 hours. this was a 4 pound roast which I cut into at 1 inch intervals to allow the marinade to penatrate deep into the meat.
Are there any suggestions as to wehat can be done to tenderize this cut of meat other than a crock pot for 10 hours??
Thanks
Fingers

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    TS_041500_181602.jpg
    <p />Fingers...[p]Sorry the marinate didn't work on the bottom round. Very happy to hear that you liked the flavor - it has become my wife's favorite! We have started using it often. The picture is from my 1st attempt. [p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Fingers,
    Hank and I discussed this before. On cuts that are notorious for being tough, I use Adolphs unseasoned meat tenderizer. It has a blue label and a blue cap! It will say No MSG and No sodium right across the face of the label. The stuff is from the Papian fruit. Really weird stuff, but it works. There are other varieties, so be sure to get the blue label with the blue cap stuff. Put it on, before you put the meat in the marinade. Lightly moisten the meat after poking holes in the surface, then apply the tenderizer very sparingly. A little goes a long ways! After that, put the meat in the marinade! I say go easy on the tenderizer, because it does have a taste of its own.[p]Cheers! Good Luck![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fingers,[p]Good to see more of the old timers pop back in and say HI. Good to hear from you again my friend!! To tenderize that tough piece of meat - you tie a rope to it and drag it behind the family auto to work for a few days - that'll tenderize it![p]Tim
  • Fingers
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Thanks I'll look for it next trip to the store[p]Fingers

• Fingers
    Options
    Gfw,
    I had hopes that it would tenderize that cut. As beef goes top and bottom round are inexpensive. O well it was worth a try.
    Thanks for your input
    Fingers

• Fingers
    Options
    Tim M,
    I tend to lurk from time to time. But be assured that I think that this is the best Q forum going. As we learn we also grow and as we grow we become more tolerant of others and there views etc. And that is one of the things that makes this a great forum.
    As to tenderizing that cut of meat I'll try Dr. Chickens suggestion first then perhaps yours.
    Keep up the good work in helping others on the forum. I'll check in from time to time when I think I have something to offer or need help
    Fingers