Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE - Indirect Cooking Question

Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any techniques they could pass on for cooking indirect on a Small? With my Large, I'm a fan of putting a small rack across a lined baking tin which, in turn, is placed on the remnant of an old broken plate setter (effectively now a thick pizza stone). This all sits on the grid - of course.[p]I guess there is no plate setter available for the Small, so what's the best way to go?[p]Regards to all - sorry I could not make it to the EggFest this year.[p]
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    fairalbion,
    I take my small camping and do a lot of indirect. I like to cover the lower rack with aluminum foil, then poke a bunch of holes in the foil. I have some bricks I cut in thirds that I use for spacers. I place a second rack on the spacers. In lieu of the bricks, i have also used rock slabs placed pretty much alover the first grid before placing the upper grid in place. In this case, I skip the aluminum foil. Maybe not perfect, but works for me.

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    fairalbion,
    I take my small camping and do a lot of indirect. I like to cover the lower rack with aluminum foil, then poke a bunch of holes in the foil. I have some bricks I cut in thirds that I use for spacers. I place a second rack on the spacers. In lieu of the bricks, i have also used rock slabs placed pretty much all over the first grid before placing the upper grid in place. In this case, I skip the aluminum foil. Maybe not perfect, but works for me.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    fairalbion,
    You can see a couple different ways to do indirect in my Tips section...HTH[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    WessB,
    Sorry...didnt realize I forgot the link....

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • WessB,
    Thank you. This is great.

--
  • CampCook,
    Thanks I'm already loving this thing

--
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    fairalbion,
    I have a BGE Ceramic Baking Dish which I use as a substitute for a platesetter on my Small. It's unglazed on the inside, and BGE Green glazed on the outside. It's a perfect base on which to set a pot of beans or chili for indirect baking. See the BGE accessories for information. I have had mine for years, but have never actually used it as a baking dish!
    Cheers,
    G.