Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Happy Woosday!!

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few shots of Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods, from town.

600_17096785.jpg

600_17096792.jpg

Happy day!!
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Beautiful country Molly, Pikes Peak is a great place to visit!

Well I don't have country side pictures to share but I visited the hen house and I'll share that. Think I'll cook up some chicken tonight on the egg. :whistle:

Lois70thBirthday6_2010096.jpg

Lois70thBirthday6_2010129.jpg

Lois70thBirthday6_2010094.jpg

There was a feeding frenzy, reminds me of the eggfest I attended in Illinois last year. :ohmy:

Lois70thBirthday6_2010089.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    one for the pan :) skinniest salmon ive ever caught but it was time to keep one

DSC_0001-4.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I took a pic of this apple thief under my neighbor's apple tree at dust.

000_2271.jpg
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Those red rocks are pretty dramatic against the green.

Butterflies.

IMG_0063.jpg

Spent flower.

IMG_0049.jpg

Cicada shell casing. When we were kids we would attach them to our clothes and wear them for the day.

IMG_0076.jpg

Happy WoosDay!

john
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    My Fennel plants were covered by these Black Swallowtail caterpillars. Really neat looking.

4864644112_26e648c3b1_z_d.jpg

If you irriate them they shoot their osmeterium (yellow thing at top of their head) out and give off a funky odor. It's not really terrible but smells like glue or nail polish. Very interesting to think this keeps them from becoming dinner.

4864027461_0a17fcc128_z_d.jpg
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Nice. Those are Tiger Swallowtails. We have tons of them and their friends the Black Swallowtail and Zebra Swallowtail.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am not a cat person, but this was a cute cat
    IMG_0043.jpg
    I am not a leaf person, but again a cute leaf
    IMG_0018-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Another cute kitty, sorry, no cute leaves though.

Blazer009.jpg

Easter008.jpg

Pretty cute rock formation in the Indian Canyons.
    020-4.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Bread from México

LMA0886.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

WOW Beli! I love it, that is a great photo my friend. You are doing a lot of things right with that camera.

Blair

• fishlessman
    Options
    my first bug photo, not so good, someday i need to learn how to use the functions on the camera other than micro and automatic :laugh: he was enjoying dinner on the boat gunnel, a nice big juicy greenhead

DSC_0007-2.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Randomness-

022.jpg

Aloe Plant
    015.jpg

063.jpg

On a path to falls near Blowing Rock NC.
    Gs9-1-2009028.jpg
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Thank God something eats Greenheads! Those things can inflict some pain :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahahaha, my thoughts exactly. Those things take a chunk out of you and draw blood! You learn to slap first and ask questions later. :lol:

Blair

• fishlessman
    Options
    there doesnt seem to be as many around recently, i remember as a kid in biddefordpools floating out to sea on truck innertubes they would freaking swarm you, you couldnt kill them fast enough :laugh: :laugh: ill take one of those old innertubes anyday compared to all the fancy floats they make for kids now, those tubes lasted years
    fukahwee maine

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    TKS mi amigo, these are called volcanes or conchas and are typical in most of México
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Great photos Chris, the Swallowtail caterpillars are amazing.

I was in Corkscrew Swamp one day and had spotted this Barred Owl late in the day. I returned the next morning to see if I could find it again. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and found him just as he caught his breakfast, a huge Swallowtail caterpillar. The Owl was as curious of me as I was of it and it flew with it's meal to a branch about 4 feet over my head and proceeded to eat it.
    IMG_1423A_640.jpg

Blair

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Another shot of my new neighbor...
    (Anybody know what kind of hawk this is?)

hawkII.jpg

Indian Lake in the UP

334145844_rRKUV-L.jpg

And one more drop of water:

WaterDrop7copy.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Options

That's interesting, I wonder if they are treating/spraying the marshes to keep the numbers down? When I was growing up we spent our summers on the beaches of Duxbury and the S.O.B.'s could make your life miserable. I think when I moved down here I traded them in for the No See Um's, they can cover every inch of exposed skin and make it feel like it is on fire. LOL. We have Lee County Mosquito Control down here that has more aircraft then many third world countries. They don't use the chemicals that they used to. They used to fly formations of DC-3's at tree top level fogging the entire county. They would come roaring over the house a little after sun up so low you could see through both sets of windows and the pilots would wave, shaking all the dishes and windows, and a minute or two later you would be fogged in - white out. It was a heck of a way to wake up. :lol:

Blair

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Spending the week in western NC. Visited the John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown yesterday -
    A sunflower in the garden
    IMG_3543.jpg
    Then on to mine for gems! $40 bucks, 2 bags of dirt. At the end the lady assured me I had nice saphires and rubies. They look like rocks to me.
    IMG_3570.jpg
  • fishlessman
    Options
    havent seen the white fog truck in maybe 25 years :laugh: the most ive seen done against the greenheads is the black trap boxes in the marshes. horseflies on the other hand are still out there in droves if your in the wrong place :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• The second photo is Lantana.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    The 3rd pic is Lantana, First is an Orange Blossom, second is aloe, 3rd is lantana and the 4th is a shroom. Or maybe I smoked the shroom and the pictures are moving on the page!! :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi BR

The hawk might be a Rough-Legged Hawk, the feathering all the way down the legs with the spots makes me suspicious. It's vey hard to tell with out seeing the rest of the bird. They are fairly common up north, your lucky to have it for a neighbor. They feed mostly on small rodents.

Great water drop shot, what is your set up for that? I have been meaning to give that a try.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

I had forgotten all about the boxes in the marshes, they must work if they still use them . . . I hope.

No Black Flies down here either, you can keep them too! :laugh: I believe the old tales about people being driven insane by them. :woohoo:

Blair

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Welcome to Texas. There was a conference on campus last week, and they brought in this Longhorn so that all of the "furriners" from other states could get a proper welcome. I told them to take the fertilizer with them when they were done.

LR

004A-1.jpg

006-14.jpg
  • Oops. Horticulturists can i.d. plants, but we're not know for grasping higher math.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Thanks Blair,

I have been searching the net for the hawk but can't pinpoint it. I live in the South and in the city (Houston) so was a bit surprised when they nested across the street. Here is another shot:

HawkII-1.jpg

The water shot was a red plastic bowl full of water sitting in the kitchen sink and a very slow drip from the faucet. I walked by and went, "wow, cool shot." I used a Sigma 105mm DG macro lens set on a tripod with a flash. When the drop fell I fired away. This one was f/2.8 at 1/60 sec with an ISO of 200 at 105mm. Although the Sigma is cheap, it has been a pretty decent macro lens...

Broccoli:
    DSC_0008-1.jpg
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Thanks, Bit. We've had what seems like a record year for swallowtails. They're everywhere. Nice shots of the before caterpillars. They liked our fennel and parsley this year, too.

Cheers and hope all is well Cinci way!

IMG_0065.jpg

john