Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Book Recommendation?

Options
JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice. I've got a $20.00 gift certificate for amazon.com[p]I was going to buy some cooking book. Should I go with a barbeque book (which one), or an Alton Brown book?[p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Smoke and Spice is a great place to start.[p]Toy Man
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JM3,
    hey, save it till next spring and be the first guy on your block to buy dr bbq's book when it comes out. ..

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    JM3,
    S&S is good, but beware the cooking times. Many are way, way off. If you want to cook really great Q, I strongly recommend Paul Kirk's book, Competition Barbecue. Alton Brown's I'm Only Here for the Food is a staple for learning about all kinds of cooking processes. You can't go wrong there.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    JM3,
    Depends on where your collection of cookbooks sits right now. Actually 2 books I would reccomend everyone read are CookWise by Shirley O. Corriher and On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee.[p]Shirley is the food scientist that appears on Alton's show all the time and Harold McGee was the pioneer in food science who everyone turns to for the explanation of why something does or does not work. If you pay attention this book is seen in about half of the Good Eats shows.[p]Shirly is an absolutely delightful lady and is like a walking encyclopedia, she is in life just as she appears on the show. Alton gets almost all of his information from her, and what he doesn't get from her he gets from the interns who are looking it up in Harold's book.[p]Between these 2 books there is almost nothing in food that you won't understand. A LOT of things will be explained including what actually happens during a low and slow cook. Granted yu have to apply the genral science to your specific question but it is all contained there.[p]On Food and Cooking was a required book for us in Culinary School, and I'm almost positive it is on the book list at the CIA. So I consider it a must have.[p]Word of warning though...it is pretty dry stuff at times, much less so with Shirley's book, but it is well worth it in my view.[p]Or you can use the $20 to buy something for the grill, Amazon sells just about everything now.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BBQ_Bible.jpg
    <p />JM3, Check out the link. I'm kind of a Steven Raichlen fan.

[ul][li]Cookbooks[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm a huge Steve Raichlen fan, JM3, but I don't know whether you are more interested in grilling or BBQ. His How to Grill book is great as his new BBQ one. Paul Kirk's new BBQ book is another winner. JCA

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    JM3,[p]There are so many great books out there. Raichlen's "How to Grill" is great because of all the pictures. I have been buying old BBQ books lately and finding some interesting recipes. You can buy these off the amazon site also. You will be amazed at the number of books you buy for 1-3 dollars each.[p]One more thing....I have gone to lots of weddings this year and think I found a very nice gift. My wife got this for our wedding (it only took me three years to put two and to together). It provides a great base of cooking knowledge, then adds varations so you can make a recipe "your own". Any way, enough rambling, the title is "How to Cook Everything" by Michael Bittman. [p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    I had the authors name wrong.... It is MARK Bittman.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JM3,
    The two recommendations posted by Bobby-Q are excellent. I would add Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbecue Sauces" to your wish list. It has 175 recipes for sauces, rubs, marinades and mops.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]me too.
  • Bobby-Q,[p]I found "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee to be absolutely fascinating. I have stayed away from asparagus and lima beans since reading the book, and smell better because of it.
  • JM3,
    Here is a link to amazon where I got both books by Paul Kirk.
    I have other cook books but like you wanted information for barbecue only.
    Good Luck
    jim

[ul][li]Amazon.com[/ul]