Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt????

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my second pork butt on the egg and had a couple questions:

1. How long should a 7lb bone-in butt take?

2. What should the egg temp be?

3. What should the internal temp be when it is done?

4. Any good sites I can go to, to learn?

Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    1. 1 1/2 -2 hrs per lb

2. 250-275

3. 192-200

4. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Vidalia1 is spot on. But I don't think "4" is necessary, 1-3 says it all. No sense in making a simple cook complicated, though it does seem to happen fairly regularly.

Good Luck. I'm sure it will be great!
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I just did my first butt & it was 7 lbs. it took 1.7267 hours per lbs. So next time just going to figure 1.75 hours per lbs.
  • Times will change depending upon the precision of your thermometer and fat content of your Butt.
  • JDP
    JDP Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm new here and to the BGE but I've smoked a lot of butts. In my opinion (not to be confused with facts or anything) the internal temp has got to get up to 205*. That's the temp necessary to turn the cologen(gristle) to elastogen. It's chemistry. If you get it right the butt makes great pulled pork. If you don't, it's "iffy".
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    The fat content of "my butt" remains about the same, at 210# I would guess about 70% :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Except gelatin is really what you're after, and it is mostly converted by 180-185&deg and that is when the meat really starts to get tender and will pull apart.

I don't even know what elastogen is - never heard the term. I've had some very good pulled pork at 195&deg and some very good pulled pork at 205&deg - I think it is really dependent upon each individual butt and its makeup and the experience of the cook to know when is the "right" time to pull it for the consistency that the particular cook seeks and considers their own version of perfection.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    According to everything I found on Google - yes stike I googled it - it's an anti-aging ingredient. For us old folks that could be a good thing.. :woohoo:

Not sure I'd want to eat it though..