Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

**URGENT HELP NEEDED** DOME STUCK SHUT

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Problem:

I can't open the dome. When I try and lift the handle, the entire unit lifts with it. That's a lot of force being that I own an XL.

Last night I left the dome open hoping to burn off all the coal that was in it since I'd be transporting it into a vehicle tonight. Did the rain/heat cause this? The screws don't appear to be too tight. The springs aren't hard as a rock either.

Help Help Help! I've got limited tools, and a non-fix-it minded brain.

Thanks!

John

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    PorkyDork's,

If your gaskets are fused, take a razor knife (box cutter?) or a putty knife and work it between the gaskets and work it around the circumference.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll try that.

Thanks Steve!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    You fried your gasket more than likely, a very common occurence. Get a putty knife and slide it between the bottom and top and work your way aroundthe egg. This should free the glue and allow you to open the lid. You will most likely need a gasket replacement soon.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    If you have started cubes or the like open bottom vent and lite warm it up and it should come loose
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Welcome the BGE Stuckdome club! Happens to many. Happened to me. The adhesive on the original gasket often melts under the heat of a pizza cook or cleaning burn. Follow Little Stevens advice to open the egg. You will probably find the gasket has torn in one or more places. You have several options: Remove the gasket and cook without it (some will say you don't need it anyway); Replace it with the another felt gasket from your dealer (bad choice, it will happen again); replace it with a Nomex gasket from your dealer and use 3M super 77 or Permatex Ultra Copper (from auto parts store) to secure it; install a Rutland (Fiberglass) or Coltronics gasket (woven ceramic fiber) and secure it with Permatex or the adhesive that comes on Coltronics tape (better choices) OR simply make a gasket from Permatex (my choice). There are numerous threads and pics if you make a search of forum posts.
    You will have passed your first Egg initiation ritual.
  • Little Steven
    Deckhand,

Was I right about the boxcutter? Never did find out if that is what you guys call them.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Steven - actually a true box cutter has a short blade so as to only cut through the thickness of the outer cardboard box and not the packaged product inside. I think you mean a utility knife. You're welcome! :lol:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Thanks Ron :blush: Two countries separated by a common language and all.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to open it with the "box cutter" knife. This is a real drag...competition this Friday/Saturday and I was loading it up to drop it off in the town where the competition will be since I will be down there tomorrow morning. It's 100 miles away so I was trying to get all my ducks in a row early in the week.

I can see bare adhesive on the gasket where it is worn down. If I tried to cook on this during the competition will I be SOL? Or is it imperative I replace it before then? My cooking will all stay around 235, so definitely no high-heat cooking.

This is the second gasket I've put on the Egg since 2007. Thankfully I have a NOMEX one sitting around in the house somewhere, so if that's needed, I'll put it on right away. Just not in the mood to tinker away from home and on the eve of a competition. If i'm not mistaken, don't you have to let the adhesive set for 24 hours or so?

Thanks,
    John
  • Little Steven
    PorkyDork's,

Don't worry about it. Lack of gasket will not affect low temp cooks. I have several eggs and I don't think any of them have any gasket. I will get around to them soon. B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Have had mine a year and lost the gasket early. Never had an issue without it.
  • Thanks man.

So I don't have to be concerned with it sticking together again? At all?

If so, I'm good to go.

Thanks