Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie does pizza

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm one of the newbies who came on board after Springfest 2000. I've been too busy egging to post lately, but I came up for air tonight. I've done pork twice this week - a pork loin and pork chops. Both times I marinated the pork in orange juice, added oj to the drip pan and put mesquite chunks in the fire. Both times the meat tasted like canadian bacon. I'm not complaining. I liked it, but I was surprised. Anybody else notice a taste like that?[p]Tonight I went after pizza. I cheated and got pizza dough from a local Amish bakery at a Farmer's market. I'm not yet ready to try my hand at dough-making. I got four 8 inch (diameter) shells and we made two pizzas tonight. My wife did a pepperoni/cheese topping on one and a very nice basil leaf/olive/pepperoni topping on the other. [p]I used Spin's temps and times (550 dome temp and 8-10 minutes). I put the pizza stone on top of two fire bricks. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I got crust to die for and a nice melt on the toppings. It looked like some of those pizza photos I drool over at this website. Nice flavor. [p]I just got a bunch of new spices from Penzey's and I'm going for Cat's Ribs this weekend. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it's cause I'm busy.[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    char buddy, your learning curve on the BGE is upbeat and doing great. Not sure about why your loins tasted like cured ham. Next time skip the mesquite and orange juice and just use a mustard/rub for a comparison..no smoking wood at all or just a few hickory chunks..3 or 4
    C~W

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    char buddy,
    Sounds like you doing just fine. Welcome to our family.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]""no
    smoking wood at all or just a few hickory chunks..3 or 4""[p]No wood or maybe just 3-4 chunks -- wow, that's what I call heavy smoke. No wood or maybe a small chunk would be more like what I would like in a lite smoke. Each to his own and some love lots, but what would you add, in wood, for a heavy smoke flavor? I am not picking on you but lots of new users lurking around.[p]Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    char buddy,[p] Next thing is to post some pics for us to drool over.
    Glad things are going so well, sounds like you have fallin
    into the same trap as the rest of us. Over Eating!!

Earl[p] P.S
    I like Canadian bacon, " eh "

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, I suppose it depends on the size of the chunks? And wet or dry! Like you and I, thats a curve that needs personal attention to the desired flavor. Maybe I should have said 1 to 4 in steps? :-)
    Cheers...and did ya sell that camera yet? Its a great starter for digi!!
    C~W[p]

• Bambi
    Bambi Posts: 38
    Options
    char buddy,
    Re Wood Chunks, everyone is giving you good advice, i.e., go hickory, not mesquite for this type of meat dish. Also, as they say, use just a few chunks. Often when you are learning to do real 'que, conventional wisdom says if a few's good, lots will be better but the smoke taste gets too authoritative. Penzey spices are truly killer. The Balti seasoning is out of this world for bbq. It is a compendium of East Indian and Middle Eastern spices which make the flavor of any bbq'd meat or fish dance

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    bambi,[p]Hi. I still have not done your Balinese Bananas, but they're in our plans. That Balti seasoning sounds interesting. I'll check it out. How've you been?
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    char buddy,[p]Glad to hear that you are cooking up a storm. Wood is a personal preference. Try different woods, and see what you think. Mesquite can be a bit bitter if done too heavily. Back off on the amount you use, or try someother wood like pecan, cherry or apple.