Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Pizza!

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I made a couple of pizzas that turned out pretty good.

08-08-10Pizza1.jpg

08-08-10Pizza2.jpg

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    they look perfect
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks good :)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Ohhhhh that mushroom pizza looks good :)
  • BobS
    Quadzilla wrote:
    Crust recipe?

I used the recipe shown below, but adjusted it and made it in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

The adjustments were to use the autolyse technique by adding 75% of the flour, the yeast and all the water in the first step (mix 2 mins) and then let rest for 20 minutes.

Then I added the salt, mixed for five minutes and added the rest of the flour. I formed the dough balls and put them in the refrigerator, over night.

I made 300 gram dough-balls.

Also, I used regular flour, because I was out of Caputo 00 and it worked fine.

Fred’s Pizza Dough
    Fred Bernardo at Fred’s BBQ and Music Supply

Tony Gemignani's Authentic (and award winning) Neopolitan (wood burning) Pizza Dough Recipe. This is the recipe Tony taught us when I attended his "International School of Pizza" Class in Jan of 2010.

Caputo "oo" "Pizzeria" Flour in the Blue Bag 780g
    Ice Cold Water 450ml
    80 degree water 20ml
    Dry Yeast 6g
    Salt 20g

• Total dough weight: 1276 grams – enough for 4 traditional pies (see comment below)
    • 60% hydration
    • Change prep to autolyze technique by adding 75% of flour initially, without salt and letting rest 20 minutes (585 gr + 195 gr)

Mix yeast into warm water.

Put flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.

Pour cold water and yeast/water mixture into the bowl/flour and begin to mix using a spoon/etc. ix for 5 minutes, then feel dough. If dough is dry add a little more water, if too wet (real sticky) add a little more flour. Mix for 2 more minutes then "turn out" the dough onto a work surface and begin to incorporate the salt. Continue kneading for 5 minutes until dough feels smooth.

Form into a large ball and cover dough with plastic or moist towel and let sit for 10 minutes before "balling".

Cut into 3 or 4 pieces and form into balls. Let sit, covered with plastic etc. for 8 hours at room temp before using or better yet, put balls in oiled plastic bags or sealed containers and refrigerate overnight.

On day you want to use the balls, remove from refrigerator at least 3 hours before spreading, dressing and baking.

The official" ball size is 280g to 300g for "authentic" Vera Nepolitana pizza.
  • Nice! Thanks for the info. The pizzas look fantastic!
  • this is a great recipe -- getting everything mixed and rested for 20mins before kneading is key, really lets the dough hydrate. I've read mixed opinions on the salt, it can inhibit the yeast if added on top of one another but as long as it is active (use warm water and premix the yeast in the water until bubbles form) I don't see why you can't mix everything at once. But interesting to try separate (with cold water) and your results certainly show this is a great, workable method for pizza on the BGE! Nicely done!
  • BobS
    Large Marge wrote:
    this is a great recipe -- getting everything mixed and rested for 20mins before kneading is key, really lets the dough hydrate. I've read mixed opinions on the salt, it can inhibit the yeast if added on top of one another but as long as it is active (use warm water and premix the yeast in the water until bubbles form) I don't see why you can't mix everything at once. But interesting to try separate (with cold water) and your results certainly show this is a great, workable method for pizza on the BGE! Nicely done!

FYI, there was an article in this month's Cooks Illustrated that talked about adding salt, when using the autolyse technique. Apparently it interferes with the gluten formation and they showed some pretty convincing pictures. That said, I am not sure I could tell the difference. The fact that I let everything rest in the refrigerator, for about 18 hours probably impacts the results.
  • Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Thanks for the recipe. I've been trying all kinds of recipes with the obvious mixed success. I'm going to give this a try.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Bob I could eat a good pizza anytime, those look really nice
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Nice looking pies.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Very nice! For some reason, maybe being Canadian, I always put the cheese on top. looking at your great results I will reverse that the next time.

Dave
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Great looking pies! Where's all the oily puddles from the pepperoni? I can't seem to stop the oil from drowning the cheese. What's your secret?
  • BobS
    FlaMike wrote:
    Great looking pies! Where's all the oily puddles from the pepperoni? I can't seem to stop the oil from drowning the cheese. What's your secret?

I put the pepperoni on 4 layers of paper towel and cook it for one minute, in the microwave. I pull it out and blot off the top too. Works like a charm.

FWIW, I sauté the mushrooms before they go on too.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Thanks,
    I also sautee mushrooms and/or onions....... but never tried nuking pepperoni. Next time I will.
  • Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    I am doing 2 Papa Murphy's for the 1st time tonight....Wish me luck...LOL
  • interesting. will have to give the salt method a try. I love the cold rise in the fridge, I use wild yeast and a few days fermenting gives the crust its own body.