Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs Revisited (picture heavy)

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I thought I would try baby back ribs for the second time. I was optimistic that I had learned enough from my first try. ;)

Yesterday I had cleaned the egg and loaded it with RO and a fist full of Jack Daniels oak chips mixed in. I set the egg up with plate setter, drip pan, grate and rib rack. I used foil to shield between the legs on the plate setter.
DSCN6732A_640.jpg

I guess I have a bad probe o my DigiQ so this was my first Low & Slow with out it. I didn't have any trouble getting the egg to stabilize.
DSCN6738A_640.jpg

I brushed the ribs with yellow mustard and used a homemade rub.
DSCN6735A_640.jpg

I misted them at 1 hour with equal parts frozen apple juice concentrate, apple cider vinegar and water. I used the frozen apple juice concentrate so I could refreeze what I had left over. It also boosted the sweet apple flavor I was spraying on.
DSCN6749A_640.jpg

Again at 2 hours . . .
DSCN6758A_640.jpg

. . . and again at 3 hours. My temperature had decided to go up . . .
DSCN6762A_640.jpg

. . . but all was fine.
DSCN6764A_640.jpg

After another 30 to 40 minutes I decided it was a good time to check them for doneness.
DSCN6770A_640.jpg

They were looking good so I pulled them so I could get ready to sauce them.
DSCN6773A_640.jpg

I reconfigured to a raised grid, direct and opened the vents till the egg was almost up to 400º, the afternoon rains were getting ready to rain on my parade in a big way so I was in a bit of a hurry. I used Sonny's Sweet sauce.
DSCN6776A_640.jpg

I had to sample, this was the first rib off the end of the longest rack and was probably just a little bit dry. It made up for it in flavor! These are almost like candy. They aren't fall off the bone tender but bite off the bone leaving a spotlessly clean white bone and may be the best ribs I have ever had! :cheer:
DSCN6784A_640.jpg

Blair

Comments