Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGTOBERFEST 04 - FORGET THE FOOD, IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
spawn and i got home about 6:30 last night. . .and as we talked about it on the road home, we both agreed that the highlights for us really weren't about the food nearly as much as it was about the great people we got to meet and spend time with, and the fabulous food was really just an outgrowth of these great people. . .[p]in no particular order, and with advance aplogies to those i may not mention here simply cause i can't mention them all. . .[p]1. the amisano family, who set up right next to us. .. the family recipe italian sausage was THE BEST italian sausage i have ever eaten in my life, period (if you didn't hear the story, it is a recipe past down from generation to generation, and currently paul's step mom has the recipe, and in order for paul to make he has to get pre-mixed bags of the seasoning from her. . it will be his someday) and coincidence no. 1, his daughter and mine share a common bond of juvenile diabetes, so the girls hit it off and found a common thread and ranking on their fathers!!. . .[p]2. julie appledog. ..what a great lady and a pleasure to finally meet her face to face. . ..looking forward to trying some of her great products (the jerk pork wess made with her stuff was outstanding)[p]3. mark backer and his lovely wife molly and their daughter. . .you've got to love that guy, his enthusiasm is endless. . .here is a guy who loves life, and it shows. . .molley - you should have hidden the tools for christmas[p]4. ken stone and his better half dianna - they ended up in the hotel room right next to us, so got to spend some time getting to know one of my favorite rub and sauce guru's. .. we have got to get him back into production!![p]5. molly and eli shark. . .two of our favorite people. .. we just enjoyed hanging in their company at the post-party. .. [p]6. nature boy - my buddy!!. . .enjoyed our talks while he was on I77 and i was on I85. . .i am always happy to cook and spend time with him (too bad we couldn't get brett, woo and mr earl. ..but we'll get them next time!!)[p]7. bobby q. .. another guy i got to get to know. . .thanks for hangin with us a tthe after-affair![p]8.rum and jerk and his amazing pumpkin dish. . .no way i could keep up with that party machine!![p]9. the grillmeister. .. i promise ed, spawn and i will look at the possibility of coming to austin!. . .always great to hang with you. ..to bad leisle had to miss out. . .[p]10.drbbq - its always a pleasure to be in the presence of a legend (i mean that sincerely) . ..the green cake was awesome!!. .and we are definitely looking forward to getting a first edition of the book when it comes out next spring. . . .hey, sounds like an excuse . er. ..reason for a 'fest. .. [p]11. papaq. . .gosh, what can i say about paul. . what a great person. and coincidence number two. ..after talking about the joys of adopting children (my one can't hold a candle to his 10), wouldn't you know it, we share the same birthday. ..[p]12. djm5x9 - darrell, another guy i feel like i've known for years from the forum, and it was a pleasure to finally meet and spend time with. .[p]13. smokey - damon, it was great to see you again (you are also one of spawn's favorites) and a really pleasure, if only briefly to meet your lovely bride laurel and your beautiful son, spencer. ..we know who rules in your house!!. .. .[p]14. shotgun fred and bbq bob. .two of my favorite people. .always fun and interesting to see what they are cooking up their sleeves. . .hey bob. . .how many pit stops did you have to make going home?? h heeee[p]15. bbqbluesstringer - kelly and shirly, really nice to spend time with the two of you as well... i know spawn enjoyed talking with you at the after-fest. . [p]16. yb - larry ward. . .one of the nicest people you will ever meet in your life. .it was a real pleasure to spend time with you and jenny on friday night as well. . .[p]17. the nolans, new eggers who went home with a large in their trunk, bellies full of food and heads full of new found knowledge[p]18. the ladies in the white shirts and head bands cooking at the top of the hill (i never did get their names). . .they cooked up a storm all day long, with their pizza dip and especially that crawfish in pastry roll thing that was to die for. ..they were terrific!![p]19. bill wise - the wiseone himself. . felt like i'd known him for years!!. ..its no wonder the whole thing works so well when you have dedicated folks like him involved[p]20. the entire gang from BGE. ..what a party they threw. . .my new friends the alters (i know they like escargot now), jim n, john, ab, the beautiful brenda miller, jewel (who spent the whole day taking samples around the crowd, they could have used 12 of her). . .i can't say enough about the job they all did. . .[p]21. and everyone i met and hung and ate and yapped with that i haven't previously mention (geez i forgot to mention two of my favorite folks, wess and sally b. . like someone else said, EVERYONE is an instant member of their family. . ..[p]so spawn and i feel like we have now been to the promised land, with a visit to the bge store, it was equivelent to a trip to mecca or the wailing wall!!. . it was a weekend we won't soon forget. .. [p]thanks everybody for the hospitality, friendship, great food and great time. ..it was truly memorable!!

Comments

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Yeah! It was a great time. Good meeting you, too Mad Max Beyond Eggdome...I'm the guy you met toward the end of the day that looked at your name tag and said "that whole line is really your handle?...must be the longest one on the board". heheheeeee
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What an absolutely fabulous recap, I`m glad you are so good with names, I have a feeling it will be tough to put names to all the faces I have pics of. Thanks for the great post, and the kind words of course...[p]Wess

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WessB,
    thanks pal. . .i was only able to remember so many of them by going down the registration list this morning. .and even then i couldn't remember them all (like those great ladies up behind us in the white blouses). . .and sydney really enjoys her time with you and especially sally. .. soul sister's those two are, i think. .. but we mean it, more so than waldorf, this was really about the people. . .shoot, i probably missed out on more good food than i was even able to try. . .glad you all are back home safe and sound

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Tractor,
    gotcha. .. see, i told you i was going to miss some folks. . .it was great to meet you as well. . .

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max thanks for the kind words....We really enjoyed meeting the two of you....Jenny said to me saturday night man Sydney can really cook...Hope to see you guys in Maryland for eggfest.
    Larry

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You and Spawn have become such an integral part of any Eggfest, that going to one without you would be like ... like ... well, an Eggfest without Mad Max and Spawn! [p]Escargot, Cornbread, meatloaf and people. It was almost to much, but I can't wait till the next one![p]Smokey
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Dude - sounds like you and spawn had an awesome time. I am now seriously sorry I missed out.[p]BTW, I now officially concede my 'connector' title (or whatever it was you called me after New Holland). Now you are the main man.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl ,
    even with all the new folks we met. . .a fest just isn't a fest without you and woo and brett. .we missed you guys!!. .[p]btw, it's 'people collector' and i still can't touch you (no cheerleaders hangin round my site last saturday ...grinny thng). . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    YB,
    trust me, we'll be at waldorf, and looking forward to seeing you folks there as well. . ..it really was a pleasure. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokey,
    you just need to make sure you bring that beautiful family of yours to waldorf with you next year. . .we'll find a light chair for you to carry spencer around in ;-)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Great recap, Max. I now almost feel like I was there (and REALLY wish I could have been). This is the first Eggtoberfest I've missed in three years, just couldn't pull it together this year with work and all. But it looks like a wonderful time was had by all.[p]Do plan to come over for the Texas Eggfest - I've already got that one marked on my calendar. It will be a pleasure to finally meet you and the legendary Spawn.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the recap. It allows those of us that could not go to have a good feel of the event and the great people that were there. I am so bummed that I couldn't go AGAIN this year. Between busy at work, daughter getting engaged (and all the stuff that goes with that), and just being behind on too many things it just wasn't in the cards. I guess there is always next year. [p]Hope to catch up with you guys sometime before Eggfest. Say hi to Spawn.[p]Chuck

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chuck,
    spawn and i missed you too. .. .did i read correctly, she's ENGAGED??. ..for real? big old diamond ring and everything??. .. got a date yet??. .. do i need to start reserving flank steaks??. .. congrats. . .maybe you can tie the wedding into eggfest in waldorf somehow. . .outa be easy. ..lets see, use the warehouse for a chapel. . plenty of food and beverage already available, as well as the band. . .geez, what else could she possible need??

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    hopefully someday, i'll get to meet the rest of the texas contingent up close and personal. .. you, spring chicken, lawn ranger and others. .. if you guys are anything like molly shark and grillmeister it will be quite the bash. ..

• tn slagamater
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Hey Mad Max ! It was fantastic to meet you and Spawn, if even so briefly... I would still like to swap forum names with ya... the flank steak IS incredible... so are you and your Spawn !!

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]We're counting on you coming out. Hippy Chick and Spawn are the same age, both with glasses and braces. I think they'll get along just fine. Make a stop by the Texas Capital building and you have an educational visit.[p]Book your flights out of BWI and they'll be pretty cheap. I just checked with Continental and they're $229 round trip. That's what I paid when we came out to the Waldorf eggfest this year.[p]It was great cooking with you and Spawn. Thanks for saving a snail for me. It was great![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You pretty much summed it up. :)
    I agree totally, the people are what make it such a great event.
    I never really met you at the fest, but as I observed the happenings I could tell who and what was helping to make the event the success it was. The BGE staff did a great job of making it all work, and it worked great.
    It was probably the best organized event I have ever been to. [p]The after party in the lot was a good time too. I met and spoke briefly with Spawn, and I think maybe you have got a keeper in her. ;) (I think without her, you would have been in trouble at times, ;))[p]So, yep, I think you are right, its the people that make the event what it is, but without the BGE and its sponsorhip, none of us would have been there to meet in the first place.
    Looking forward to Waldorf and next year in atlanta,
    Ron.

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You are the greatest dude! you and Spawn made some incredible dishes on Saturday and made my day with those escargot. Thanks a million! see you soon.[p]P.S. we only made 27 stops on the way back.[p]BBq Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Max:[p]It was really great to meet you and spawn too! I hope to make it up to the DC area next spring!
    [/b]
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    It was great to meet you and spawn, too. We had a great time meeting all of these wonderful people from the forum, and from the mother-ship. Couldn't ask to spend time with a better group of folks. This was our first, but it will not be our last. We're already thinking about what we might cook next year![p]Ya'll have a safe and happy year, and we'll see you in '05!

• Gshell
    Gshell Posts: 44
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hey it was really nice to meet you and Spawn. Thanks to both of you for cooking all of that food, I ate enough at the after party to last me for a week.