Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL - Reducing Ring Question

kricks
kricks Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I played golf with a guy Saturday and it turns out he has an XL Egg. Also turns out as we were talking he wasn't happy, said he could never get it hot - never over 450 - 500. I asked the usual questions until he said "I never put that much lump in, that would take half a bag!" As he is almost always just cooked for two, I suggested the reducing ring, something he had never heard of. So I went to the ceramic grill store and there are three different kinds. The angle braces, the solid ring and the wire ring. Do any XL owners out there have an opinion on which one works the best? I don't want to steer him wrong.

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    all three (ang-l brackets, solid and open ring) basically do the same thing, reduce the size of the fire box for smaller (grilling) cooks.

Between brackets vs. rings, I recommend matching to what grids, stones or other accesssories he owns. The brackets work best with bge's half moon pieces while the rings work best with round grids and stones.

Between solid vs open ring, it again is personal preference as some folks like a full wall holding the lump, while others like the openness to allow more airflow for faster starts.

Almost forgot, I make the stuff, so if he want to call or email me, that's cool too. Hope this helps. tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Yes, the XL takes half the bag to fill the fire box, but he'll use only a fraction of it when getting the egg to 600+. I use a chimney starter and leave the bottom and top vents wide open. That gets me to 600+ in five minutes.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Should have said five minutes after lit coals hit the egg. Didn't mean to imply five minutes from lighting to 600+
  • I just ordered the solid ring for my XL. I was having some trouble getting up to 550 for a pizza so I cleaned everything out and last night for searing steaks it went to over 650 in 15 minutes. There was about 1.5" of ash in the bottom and many tiny pieces of lump on the grate. Got rid of the tiny pieces and laid out a layer og large pieces, them heaped on the medium and small pieces, and no problems.
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    I use the wire ring and have no complaints. Works for me!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I rarely fill up my XL, but you really don't need to.

I have the wire LRR, and it doubles as a woo on my medium, which is perfect for getting the grid to the felt line (if there were any felt there ;) ) I also have a woo for the medium, which gets me higher into the dome, for more distance from the lump.

For some cooks on the XL, I just make a pyramid. I did pizza on Friday, and made a pyramid of lump under the PS and stone. Easily held 600 for 2 hours, and had plenty of lump left over. Was probably only 1/3 of the lump I could put in if I had filled up the XL.

Richard
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Bash-" I have the wire LRR, and it doubles as a woo on my medium, which is perfect for getting the grid to
    the felt line (if there were any felt there ) I also have a woo for the medium, which gets me higher into the dome, for more distance from the
    lump."

Probably a newbie question, but what is a LRR?
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    lump reducing ring. Sold at the ceramic grill store.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    It'll take a whole 8.8 lb bag of Cowboy. Wanna see.

Start with one of these.

EmptyEGG001.jpg

Then add one of these.

EmptyEGG002.jpg

Fills it up to here.

EmptyEGG003.jpg
  • Dale,

Where is the ceramic grill store in Lancaster. Live in Exton and looking for a really good Egg supply place. Not far to travel out your way for Eggcessories.

thanks,

SS

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'll pass your thoughts along.

Tom,

I'll point him your way but you know the old saying... You can lead a horse to water...
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Nice meeting you yesterday. I'll keep you posted on the next NGE meeting.