Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP Any creative built-in BGE installation ideas?

Options
eyegolf
eyegolf Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone...I just recently found out about BGE's and I am about to purchase a large BGE so I guess you could call me a Big Green Embryo at this point!....we are building a new patio/outdoor kitchen and I talked my husband into including a BGE along with the gas grill (WooHoo!) SOoooo.....we are in the process of designing the grill/outdoor kitchen area and I am looking for some ideas of how people incorporated their BGE into the design instead of having a freestanding BGE off to the side. I found this really cool BGE installation on YouTube and it gave me the idea to ask on this forum if anyone else could share photos of installations that are "built-in" similar to this one....

biggreenegg.jpg

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Welcome, newbie! There are some built-ins amongst TNW gallery here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    The Naked Whiz site is probably your best resource, but you may also want to look at the search forum here [click on forums, then search forum, then type in built in tables].
    If you see something you really like and want more info you can click on the posters name to bring up his/her profile, then send an e-mail through the forum.

Good Luck and Welcome, you won't be sorry and neither will your husband :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa,FL
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I've linked a few pictures (i think) of our XL BGE build-in.

We placed the egg directly on the pavers in a cut-out of our L-shaped island/bar. It has granite counter tops and the other cooking apparatus is a single burner. We chose not to enclose in granite for both cost and practical considerations (would have been a thin piece of granite front/back).

I think the two most important considerations are: 1)grill height
    2)lid clearance

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/tnelson2402/Egg8.jpg
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/tnelson2402/Egg7.jpg
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/tnelson2402/Egg4.jpg
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/tnelson2402/Egg3.jpg
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/tnelson2402/Egg1.jpg
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Your making one of the greatest choices that can be made, with regards to cooking. Nobody has said it yet, but I will tell you that chances are VERY good that you will kick yourself for spending your hard earned money on a gasser. Many that have done the same, now use those expansive grills as storage containers. You would be WAY better off IMO getting yourself 2 BGE's. B) Say a large and small or even a couple larges, If you really get after it sometimes.
  • eyegolf
    Options
    Wow, thank you to everyone for your replies! They were all very helpful. And I'm laughing at the suggestion of canning the gas grill and opting for 2 BGE's...it was hard enough for me to get my husband to agree on the BGE at all. He had never seen or heard about it until we went searching for the built-in gas grill for the new outdoor kitchen and the place we went to happened to be a BGE dealer. I told the guy that I had read a few rave reviews about the BGE and asked him to tell me about them. So needless to say he is an egg fanatic like the rest of you all and he could barely stop tripping over his own saliva as he tried to describe how great the food tastes! He was hitting home with me when he told me how unbelieveable the steaks and ribs taste. I am a total carnivore and eat zero carb (I eat meat, seafood and eggs, nothing else) There is more info on it here in case there are any curious carnivores out there... www.zeroinginonhealth.com
    So my meals are usually a ribeye or Porterhouse 2 times a day and I mix it up with some ribs and chicken on occassion for variety for the family. Having a BGE seems to be a necessity for me, wouldn't you all say???? :laugh: I'm excited to actually experience some meat cooked on a BGE, my expectations are high, I hope there is only a short period of learning how to cook on the BGE.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You are going to fit right in! The jury is still out on your husband :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It may sound funny, buts it's very serious stuff. ;) I would really recommend getting an egg and cooking on it for a couple weeks and you'll understand. Although, you may just 'get it' in a day of Porterhouses. :laugh:

Some of those tin-cans cost as much as the whole famdamily of eggs. :whistle:

Stick with us, kid and you'll be zippin and skippin like the rest soon. :woohoo:
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    I was going to suggest the same, get the egg and cook on it before spending the money on the gasser. My gas grill has been moved around the garage and not used since I got my egg.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Steak two times a day?? Will you marry me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I bookmarked that site for the next time my daughter harps on me about too much red meat but I gotta have my bread. Just seam the counter around the gasser so it will be easy to remove when you add the 2'nd egg ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Steak two times a day?? Will you marry me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ;)

Pat, your wife read this forum? You are in big trouble, Dude!!

As for the gasser, I agree with Ripnem - buy an egg first. After you have a few meals, buy another - forget the gasser!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    No problem Michael she rarely eats steak :ohmy: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah, steak - that's what I was talking about. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning eyegolf:

Mine isn't "built-in", but here is my setup...
    P4050902.jpg

My only suggestion would be to not have the gasser, but then I may be a bit of an EggHead :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eyegolf
    Options
    Hmmmm....you guys all have me thinking about more eggs/no gasser but I don't think dh will go for that...maybe after some time of stellar meals off the BGE I can remove the gasser and fit 2 medium eggs side by side where the gasser sat unused :laugh: Then I'll have a large and 2 mediums and should be all set!
  • eyegolf
    Options
    BTW, this is really insane....I have never even tasted a piece of meat cooked on a BGE and I feel like I'm already part of the cult!
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I changed my minds several times on Large egg and gasser or XL egg only. Went with the XL egg only and, three months in, I have no regrets. Starting the charcoal takes a little longer than pushing the button on the gasser, but the set up options and difference in food quality are remarkable.