Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awning over BGE

Options
codawg
codawg Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I'm building a new house with an outdoor deck. The deck will have a built in counter with a gas BBQ and my large BGE. I asked the architect to design an awning so I have some coverage in the wet Seattle winter - and by winter I mean Oct-July. My wife wanted a glass awning over the door, so this will be carried over to the BBQ awning.

I was just thinking about the glass awning sitting over the BGE, and I started to wonder if I'm going to have a soot problem. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Comments

• codawg, there is a lot of smoke & ash produced by the egg, & although I don't have glass over mine, I would imagine there will be some soot issues as time goes on. I have a wodden roof overtop of my egg, & although I haven't noticed any discoloration, it is a very high roof... I guess it might depend on how high the glass top is & how much ventilation you have
  • codawg
    Options
    The awning is around 9' above the decking so roughly 5' over the egg top. Awning will be 5' deep by 11' wide and completely open on all sides for ventilation.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have one LGE under a wooden deck and another under a metal carport and have no soot problems from either, but under glass? Seems a little scary to me! :unsure:
    just my .02cts

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • sounds high enough to not get too dirty, may have to clean it from time to time; however, just remember, on high heat cooks, the heat coming out of the top of the dome kind of feels like a jet engine, I'm no glass expert, you may want to look into possible issues in that regard
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    My thoughts exactly :ohmy: :unsure:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • codawg
    Options
    Thanks guys - appreciate your concern, but I'm not worried about the heat on the glass. I like my steaks seared, but I don't know how to get my BGE up to the melting temp of glass.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    The fact that it's glass actually sounds like a good thing. Should be much easier to clean than wood or canvas or really any other material I can think of.