Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

ThailandBBQ
ThailandBBQ Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I am working on my first pork butt, following Elder Ward's guidance. It's only a little over 3.5 lbs. so I thought an easy 5-6 hour cook but I am now at 4.5 hrs. with a temp of 160 F and an egg temp of 250ish(I am not that good yet at holding steady).

Since I haven't went through the "plateau" yet I am betting on another 3 hours or so which would put me at well over 7 hours cooking time.

Will update later for all you that are late nighters in the USA, 1 pm here in Thailand.

Mike

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mike...I wish it was 1pm here...lol. It never ceases to amaze me, we get these small hunks of meat, and we think it will be a 'quick' cook. :blink: I think that's why a lot of folks, when doing a butt cook, just cook up a couple 9 pounders...it's the same amount of work! :laugh: Wish you the best with your cook!!
    What are you doing in Thailand, if not too personal? One of my favorite countries. :)
  • Little Chef,

Thanks for the reply. I am retired in Thailand, I have lived in Asia (Singapore) the last 14 years and finally pulled the plug the end of July. We built a house about 2 years ago so now I am finally enjoying things now that we are all moved in.

Back on the subject of the butt, not sure if I can find one here that is 8-9 lbs. In any event this is just for a few people and I didn't want to get carried away on my first try. It just hit 163 F.

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mike...You are in the perfect "plateau" temp right now. Don't get worried if is sits at this temp, and maybe even drop a degree or two, over the next hour or so. Once it gets out of the plateau, it will finish quickly. :) (No disrespect, but I can't imagine BBQ butt in Thailand!! :laugh: I guess that's what makes it so special! ;) )
    If worse comes to worst, go get some of that amazing Thai street food!!! I could sure go for some now! Enjoy that life, and know... I am envious, but in a good way. ;) Be well, and best wishes on your cook.
  • Gee man do you ever sleep???

Anyways is good to have your comments.

I think I may be coming out of the plateau, just started climbing and now at 167.....this is taking a long time.

The wife just brought home some papaya salad for lunch, I finished that and a beer and now I am more relaxed, even more after another Singha.

Where have you been in Thailand, I live near Pattaya but far enough away not to get caught up in the craziness ;)

Mike
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I have been to Thailand 3 times and it is one of my favorite countries in the world. I will be going back next year with my wife (it will be her first time) The country is beautiful and so are the people. I fly into Bangkok and take a "limo" to Pattaya. I know Pattaya is very touristy, but I really like it there. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a condo down there a few years ago (on the beach--really inexpensive like most things in Thailand compared to the U.S.). When I retire in the next 20 years, Thailand will be on top of my list.
  • Small butts don't follow the 1.5 to 2 hours per pound rule very well and often take longer. Let it ride and you will be rewarded in the end. I always cooks 2 butts as big as I can fit when doing pulled pork. Whatever isn't eaten is vacuum bagged and placed in the freezer until later. It is a considerable effort for a 16 hour cook so maximize your effort.
  • Also pulled pork freezes and reheats very well. When I bag it I'll add a teaspoon of apple juice so when it's reheated it adds the flavor and moisture to make it just as good as the first time, maybe even better!
  • Chris,

Let me know when you head this way, I am just east of Jomtien in Huay Yai....about 3 KM from the beach.

The pork butt came out great and it only took 9 hours! It was well worth the wait and I was able to impress a Dutch friend and wife along with another Thai. I am trying to spread good ole BBQ into Thailand.

Next time I definitely will try to get a bigger pork butt.

Civil Eng, I agree!!!

Little Chef, thanks for staying up late.

Mike