Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What kind of wood is used to make Lump Charcoal ?
I purchased 4 40lb bags of Lazarri Hard wood Lump Charcoal. It's oak,
I made a Spatchcock chicken this week and it had a heavy smell of smoke from the lump charcoal. Maybe I didn't let the lump burn clean enough..

Does oak lump charcoal give off a heavy taste? Is there a better way so not to have the strong smell ? Is it possible to cut the oak lump with other Lump to lesson the heavy taste ?

Thanks for the advice.

Gary

Comments

• I have found clean burning oak lump leaves practically no smoke taste. Now mesquite, that is a different story. :P
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Chicken picks up so many flavors quickly... if you don't let the lump burn clean it will pick up the smoke flavor... also, when your cooking chicken without a drip pan or close to the lump, the rendered fat will burn and make a terrible smell...

did you catch your drippings or did they fall into the lump?
    Kent Madison MS
  • EGGARY
    I cooked the chicken indirect, using the Plate setter.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Love the smell of oak smoke
  • i have been using the Lazarri lump for a few years, even before I got my XL Egg and I have had no problems

I also mix other wood with the lump and I buy all of the wood chunks and chips also from Lazarri

The prices on all the lump, Oak and their Mesquite and the wood chunks and chips, are real good. Example, about $17.00 for the 40lb sack of Oak lump.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i have had wife "issues" with the smoke taste. Make sure you dont put the food on until the smoke coming out of the upper vent is clear. is it never gets clear, change lump brands. I now only use the GFS brand, (supposedly Royal Oak).. i am going to find some wicked good. Cowboy works good too. but GFS is around the corner and they tell me I can get it all year round.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    God grows oak for shade and mesquite for cooking
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    When the chicken renders the fat, does it land on the plate setter and turn black w/smoke? If so, the chicken will have a very strong smokey flavor... I put a drip pan under the chicken and keep the rendered fat from burning.... no smokey flavor
    Kent Madison MS
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Perhaps you had a piece in there that was only partially carbonized. Every once in a while a bag of lump will have a chunk or two that aren't really charcoal but are partially burned wood.

Those billow smoke pretty heavily and will impart a heavy wood flavor on the food.
  • EGGARY
    That's why I got 4 bags. Can't beat $17 per bag. I guess I have to let the fire go a bit longer.

My last three bags were Wicked and that stuff is really good. Too bad it is a bit expensive.