Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How little things can brighten your day..

Gadfly
Gadfly Posts: 121
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So after a couple of months of having bought a large BGE and working on a table for it, last night I finally finished the table and started setting up the egg. I must say I felt a little bit underwhelmed by the quality of workmanship. The gasket was off in a couple of places and the glue didn't seem that strong. Then came the instructions for installing the bands. It says push the lower band as far as it goes and then make sure the distance between lower and upper band is the same all around. But if you follow this instruction, the upper band will only partially cover the dome's edge. So I was cursing that I shouldn't have to deal with this crap after paying $800 for a piece of appliance and then the final screw for the hinge "gave in" (lost its cap) while I was tightening it. I covered the egg (we expected rain) and went back to my Weber to take care of hamburgers and wondering what I can expect from my dealer tomorrow when I ask him for a new screw.

After dinner my wife broke the news that my father has passed away... I had not seen my dad since I left my country of birth 24 years ago but I talked to him on the phone (or tried to, he couldn't talk) a few days ago after I heard he is not feeling well. Anyway, all in all not a good Friday to start the weekend. My wife and I spent the rest of the night making phone calls and talking to my family...

I went to my dealer today. Store was crowded and I had to wait quite some time before I got a chance to talk to the salesman (probably owner too) that had sold me the egg. Right away he said: "no problem. These screws tend to break if you tighten them too much. Let me grab you a couple of new ones." He went and spent 10 minutes or so in his stash of bits and pieces in the back of the store. Then got his car keys and told me he has to go to the warehouse. He came back with an original hardware bag that he had apparently pulled from another egg, ripped the plastic open and handed me three screws. I thanked him and mentioned that I could have bought the egg from another dealer way closer to where I live but I chose to buy it from him because the impression he left of being knowledgeable and helpful (when we first walked into his store two months ago) and I am glad that I wasn't disappointed today. While there, I picked a "3 tier", an "Ash tool" and a bottle of "Dizzy Dust". I asked if I can order more ceramic feet for my egg and he just handed me a couple for free.

So here I am. (It is rainy today and I have to wait till tomorrow to finish setting up the egg.) and I find it surprising that how little things (relatively speaking) such as somebody going out of his way to help you(when he could have thrown "I will order some for you" at me), can change a gloomy mood.

Comments

• Random acts of kindness can certainly brighten one's day.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    So sorry to hear about your Dad... nothing can replace "Daddy"....

I'm so glad your dealer when the extra mile for you... it is such a treasure to be on the receiving end of good service...

Word of hard learned advice... After 4-5 cooks, check the tightness of the band bolts - the metal bands seem to settle and you'll find them needing a good tightening...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    So sorry for your loss of your Father.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope the rest of the egg set up goes well for you.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Along with the others, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

It has been my experience that most BGE dealers are eager to help when presented with a problem.

But on a larger scale, can you imagine how different the world would be if everybody did one small good deed for another person each day ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I'm glad the dealer was able to brighten your day. If you haven't watched the assembly video in a while it might be worth reviewing [url=http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/unpackassemb.html[/url].
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Being a salesman myself ,, It is so nice to have someone buy from you because of a relationship or that the customer values your knowledge. I get so tired of giving away free consulting and they having the prospect buy from someone else over 2 or 3 percent.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    First of all, sorry for the loss of your Father. It stinks when things don't work out they way we want to but when we just look at those things as just bumps in the road then it is easier to just go on and do what needs to be done.

It can be frustrating but as you saw, things worked out. Like they say, "**** happens". In the end you will be satisfied with the EGG.

As to the gasket, don't worry about it because eventually it have to be rep[laced and the nest gasket will be better quality and will stay on better because you put it on.

Enjoy the journey.
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    so sorry to hear of your loss. You will enjoy your Egg the more you use it, and you have many friends here to help you if you have a problem.
    Bon Appetit,
    Willie