Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I buy the right stuff?

Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --

Sorry for all of the repeat postings....

I'd like to get a Rutland from RRP, but I need to install today as I have a pizza cook planned for tomorrow, so I went to the local hardware store. I note that what I got looks slightly different from what is on TNW's site. Do I have the right stuff? Also, couldn't find the 3M stripper for my drill, so it looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. Thanks.

Matt

DSCF5239.jpg

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yes, but I believe you would have better luck using Permatex Ultra Copper.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Matt
    RRP --

Thanks for the response, but what is Permatex Ultra Copper?

Matt
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Matt...you don't necessarily need a gasket for pizza!!

Hold off...(take your time) and get what you want!

You'll be fine without the gasket!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Agreed. I don't know about the Rutland goo, but I'm sold on Ultra Copper. Awesome stuff! Hardware store or auto parts should have it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    It is a gasket material/adhesive available at any automotive supply store like Pep Boys, Auto Zone whatever you have out there. About $7 a tube. It is scilicone, whereas the Rutland is latex and can dry improperly during application.
  • Carolina Q
    0000-Permatex-Ultra-Copper-Silicone-Gasket-Sealant---.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Matt, can't tell you if the material is right... I will advise the Egg doesn't know or care what kind of gasket (if there is one or not) you use ... if I had a pizza cook planned - I'd forget the gasket and enjoy the cook... save the work day for when there is nothing else to do...

This is coming from someone who bought a replacement gasket two years ago and still hasn't gotten around to it... enjoy cooking too much...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Matt
    Chubby --

Thanks, several have said that. My only concern is that my Egg is still at 250 from last night's pizza cook -- the chunk of burned gasket is causing it to leak like a sieve. So, I need to remove the old gasket today anyway, and as long as I have the beast disassembled, I'd like to do the install, too.

Matt
  • Matt
    I checked the Permatex website, and they say the stuff is only good to 700F -- this obviously isn't a problem for the folks who use it?
  • RRP
    nope! Trust us OK?
  • Carolina Q
    I don't think he does! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    want to know what to do with the rtv gasket material? save your time and money.....(my "gasket" has been on my egg for 8 years..... using RTV>))) email me.... i'll save you a lot of guess work....I"m the guy who "invented" the idea.... i'm not in the "clique".... thanks! ray
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Leave the gasket off, I havent had a gasket in 4 years and mine does not run off on temps or leak smoke.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    ha ha... Matt Matt Matt.... if the gasket has a piece missing today... after a good 500 degree Pizza cook - it will take care of itself... you'll be amazed how little will be left :whistle:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Matt
    OK, so I got my Permatex Ultra Copper. What is the application procedure? Smear a thin coat on the clean ceramic, apply the gasket, and wait 24 hours to cook?
  • RRP
    some people just run a couple beads around the rim and then smear it around with a putty knife, but don't make it too thin. I OTOH buttered the edge for, say 4” at a time as I went and used a serrated blade so there would be no pools of adhesive to ooze out, nor too much to impregnate the gasket either as it has to stay flexible. When I say serrated, I mean trowel-like so there is a uniform amount of glue applied. A fine applicator is one of those cheap ($1.99) metal trowels they sell for tile installation. Use the edge that has 4 teeth per inch. This will give you a uniform depth of adhesive.

Now, press the compressed gasket into the wet glue and if it covers the whole edge, press it into the glue. Using a small flat piece of wood covered with wax paper isn’t a bad idea, although I used a J roller designed for pressing Formica onto counter tops. Just keep going like this four or five inches at a time until you get to your first quarter waypoint. By then you’ll have the hang of what it should be looking like for sake of consistency.

Now, when you’re satisfied you have pressed the gasket down well and no glue has oozed out of the sides, close the dome to provide uniform weight on the edge. Lift it and, if nothing stuck to the top, you’re ready to remove your towels et al and start a fire. A fire at 325 to 350 dome for a couple hours should adequately cure it. NOTE: At first you may notice some smell from the Permatex at temperatures above 600°, but they will not taint your food and eventually the smell will cease altogether.
  • RRP
    here's what I mean about "compressed" - see how it becomes wider?

IMG_0317.jpg
  • Matt
    RRP -- thanks for the detailed instructions. I need to do a realignment at the same time -- I assume that I will be able to do this after installation but prior to the burn? Thanks again. Matt