Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grids, drip pans and AR storage

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got grids, drip pans and AR's coming out of the woodwork over here. Besides storing them in the eggs, what other means are you folks using to store all of this? Ideas on plate sitters and pizza stones are another problem needing a solution if you care to share.

Pictures are always helpful if you got 'em ;)

Comments

• Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Years ago I bought one of those rubbermaid(?) outdoor cabinets. Not the best solution as I have to stand up the platesetter and raised grid to get them in and shut the doors. It has one shelf and two hanger contraptions that get put on the inside of the doors. So far the only complaint I would have is that it is not weather proof (which I found out the hard way after a snow storm). It holds all of my extras (Grid lifter, 4 canisters of wood chunks, several bags of lump, raised grid, etc) and they are all in the same place. Easy to grab and easy to store.

Hope it helps
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I bought a large 150 gallon deck box (keeter brand) at Sams and I have it on my back porch. It works great for all my stuff. I actually put a large rubbermaid tote inside of it to put my grids in so they wont mingle with the other stuff and grease it up. Outside of the tote I put all my kids outside toys and whatever bag of charcoal I have open at the time. The great thing about it is it doubles as a bench as well. It will handle like 400 pounds of weight sitting on it.
    Heres the link to mine.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod910832
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    rigstorage.jpg

Throw all the grids, pans, stones and similar stuff on the Rig and store it in the egg. Keep the spider in the fire ring then start stacking on the rig. If you prefer, heaviest stuff on the bottom. Maybe 13 stone on the spider too.

DSC_0024.jpg

Best thing about keeping it on the rig is you can lift all the stuff out with one move and the cooker is empty (except spider) to start a cook.

I find the biggest problem is setting stuff aside that I'm not using while cooking. Other than that, it's all in the egg on the rig.

Hope this helps. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    But where do you store the platesetter?!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Bob:

Here is where my assorted items are...either on the shelves or the two drawers either side of the Eggs. The four drawers under the Eggs hold my smoking chunks...the open bag of lump is in the cabinet under the sink...
    P4050902.jpg

This works pretty well for me :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Grumpa
    Ah.... some interesting ideas here to get me started. Tom, the AR nests together nicely, but like you stated, where do you put all the extras when the egg is in use. I am hoping for out of the egg storage and retrieve only what I plan on using for the cook each time. Still, the picture of your nest does give me a lot to think about. B)

Thanks for all the replies so far.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    An inexpensive 4 shelf wire rack in the utility room works great. Got it from the Home Depot. I don't remember the cosst but it was not much. Put it just inside the utility room door which is about 6 feet from the egg.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    When I built my table, I had NO idea of all the accessories I would HAVE to have. I'm not inclined to build anything permanent until I know I'm done accumulating (and who knows, might off the table for a larger one with a second egg). Meanwhile I'm just using a big plastic tub with lid from Wallyworld. Works fine, not pretty, but heck, it works and when I go permanent not much invested.
  • I keep my stuff in a Christmas Wreath box. Then put the box on a shelf in my basement.
    Low tech and low budget but all I need.
  • No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    I built a custom 'outhouse' for my stuff. I built large enough to hold all of the fun things including bags of lump. My wife would not allow me to put a half moon on the door.
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    I use a tub from wallyworld, one houses my wood chips the other holds the plate setter,stone,daisy wheel, & a 1/2 empty bag of lump. They stack next ot my egg & are right at my fingertips when needed
  • Grumpa
    Thanks again for the additional ideas. I have a 2' X 4' side cart built for my cooking area and I am now considering storing them on the bottom shelf in the open. Tubs are nice for a lot of things, but for grids and things, the open air might be a better option in my case due to the 18" grid size. I could nest most all of them in the AR like Tom recommended and just store the whole unit on the bottom shelf. I just wonder what hidden problems that idea may pose.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I found a way to use my Ducane (and it works fine):
    photo-23.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    you are bad :)

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    my rig is stored in the back of the truck, i always have it with me :laugh:its heading north tonight for some strip steaks and maybe some haddock B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Here's my setup. Large cabinet for clean stuff, rubbermaid for the greasy grids.

81c6cbd7.jpg

100_1322.jpg

100_1323.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's been said before. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grumpa
    Nice set up on the cabinet Mike and very much like what I have going at the moment. I do like the tub idea, but need to find some deep enough for the large 18" grids.

Thanks for the pictures!
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    My tub (from wally world) holds the orig BGE 18" grid along with the others. Should be easy to find one that fits.
  • BobbyB came up with a great solution for storage. He suggested I take one of those wire file holders I have laying around the office and use them to stack extra grates, drip pans, plate setters and the like. Works like a charm.

7edaff85.jpg

490284d2.jpg

72c1db8b.jpg

e8eb401d.jpg

330b83e4.jpg
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    That....is a great idea!!
  • BobbyB is always coming up with great ideas.
  • Grumpa
    A great idea Terry, thanks for sharing it. B)
  • Just got some of these. Great way of doing it if you dont want to actually build a table or the expense of an outdoor kitchen.

http://www.aodk.net/bok_config.php