Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard cook for this time of year........

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a hankering for smoked sharp cheddar but at a 100 degrees plus out side, don't think it's happening......dang it!

smokedcheese007.jpg
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    maybe theres a way to force feed the smoke thru a water bong :laugh: bet i could have figured this out back when i was in college :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tom,

Send it up to me and I'll do it for you. Low 70's here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LoneStarEgg
    Options
    Steve,
    That's just not right teasing us with your 70 degree weather. It's been just below or above 100 for the last 2 months in north Texas. My pool water is 92. We won't see 70 til November.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,

I'll post some pics of snow in November. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    And I'll post pictures of happy shirt-sleeved Eggheads in November :)
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I feel for you! I'm down to my last back of smoked swiss and it's driving me nut. I want to eat it so bad but I know that it's all over once I do.

Bruce
  • tjv
    Options
    there is a cheech and chong skit here..........lol
  • tjv
    Options
    I'd be afraid a band of large "asrp" canadian mosquitos would fly off with 'em........then where would I be.......lol
  • tjv
    Options
    gotta love the private "stash".....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Probably past the point of needing this. Nevertheless, Use a offset type setup. Smaller egg or even a box with a dryer vent tube from the smoke/heat source into the lower vent of the egg you are using to smoke the cheese. If the temperature is still too warm then make an ice bed (several pans filled with ice) under the cheese to keep it cooler.

GG
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tom - since I know you're handy, try this:

Create a 4" hose connection that will fit into the bottom vent of a large (or small or medium or extra large) at one end and fits snugly on the top vent of a small (or mini) at the other end.
    Buy a flexible 4" dryer vent hose and connect it from the top vent of the small to the bottom vent of the large leading it into and out of a large cooler.
    Cover the hose in the cooler with large amounts of ice.
    Create a smoke fire in the small (or mini) BGE.
    Put the cheese in the large and let the cooled smoke run over it for hours.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Can't seem to get the picture to download from flickr. This method works for me during hot weather. I use a cheap foam cooler with ice in the bottom, cheese sits on a rack in the cooler above the ice. I've cut a 3" hole in one end of the cooler and connected dryer vent material between the BGE and the cooler. Smoke generator is in the BGE. In 90*+ outside temps, the cheese stays around 75* in the cooler. Seems to work ok for me, used it twice this summer. I posted this pic earlier this year on the forum, don't know if it's still available.
    set-72157624174200087

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Use the "search forum" and look for "cheese smoking". Select "hot weather cheese smoking", there's a pic there of the set up I use.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I know what you mean, Tom. We've had about eight days of triple digit temps around here. Today it's only 98-99°F.
    A buddy of mine keeps reminding me that he has a fridge full of cheese, ready for me to smoke. Like you, it ain't happening for awhile. Maybe in October :side:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Neat idea and seems like it would work pretty darn good.

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Just did a big batch of cheese…Granted it’s not three digets hot here, but damn hot, no matter! Hey…It’s summer!
    I set up the Egg with the plate setter, the grid, a pizza stone, my drip pan filled with ice on top of that and the raised rig atop everything.
    The raised grid (cheese level) never got above 72 F. and the cheese turned out great. Not getting to that soft oily state of things!
    This set up is the way to go, as I had some trouble earlier on (early this spring with the out side temp. only in the very high 70’s) with out all the heat sinks and ice!