Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new Egger and needs guidance

Options
Phred721
Phred721 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just had my BGE delivered this past Friday and I immediately looked here for guidance on ribeyes. The suggestions you have posted were great and the meat was supberb! :P Now for my questions.

Where does one get CHUNK wood for smoking? I find chips all day long, but not chunks.

Second, a center cut bone-in 1 1/2'" pork chop (which I am brining now and am going to cook today) should be cooked for how long? I know internal temp of 160, but how does that relate to minutes per side?

Third and final for today. I am going to do some homemade Brats (local butcher here makes wonderful apple Brats) and I see that simmering in beer and onions is recommended (and sounds great) but does the quality of the beer make a difference?(Schlitz versus an IPA)

Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Phred721,

I usually use a stout or porter for brats. Guinness or Murphy's are good. Use Sam Adams at least. You only need one bottle.

The minutes per side for pork is going to depend on your heat. I like to go lower temps with pork. Cook til 145 max. It is going to rise while you rest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Phred.

I can buy chunk wood at the place that sells eggs and eggsessories. Keep looking or call around. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

The pork chop will be great if cooked direct at 450 dome. I would personally take it of at 140-145 internal if you want it to stay nice and juicy. Let it rest 10 minutes or so and the temp will rise 5 - 10 degrees.
    It will probably take just a few minutes each side.

Try whatever kind of beer you have! Experiment with it.
    Have fun and enjoy your egg.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Getting chunks or "rounds" of smoking wood straight from the source is always nice, but I do believe Ace Hardware carries Hickory Chunks.
    The time required to reach desired internal doneness temp varies by grill temp and food size. There is no hard and fast rule for time, only temp. Experience is the key which you will have more of soon.
    I am of the opinion that simmering, boiling, etc of brats/sausages in beer does nothing to enhance, and in fact my result in drier end product as a result of the alcohol. I think the "cool" factor has led to a counter productive but common step in brat cooking. I'm sure there are many who disagree.

Best of luck to you.
  • Phred721
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will use Shiner Bock, as that is what I drink :woohoo: . Low heat equates to what, 400 or lower?
  • Phred721
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will use Shiner Bock, as that is what I drink :woohoo: . Low heat equates to what, 400 or lower?
  • Phred721
    Options
    Thanks! B) Where in Florida? I am a transplant from Anna Maria Island. Lived there for 52 years until Uncle Sam moved me to here.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have bought nice boxes of cherry & sugar maple chunks from ebay...usually $3-4 per box + shipping...usually 8# boxes
  • Phred721
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. :) I will try both ways for the brats and choose after the experiment (mistakes are still eaten! :P )
  • Phred721
    Options
    Totally cool thought! I will check it out today!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I sometimes go to Kim's house to get smoking wood. B)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would go to 325* but that is just me. You won't get a real dark sear but the meat will be very moist. You can easily remove the pork, open the vents and give it a high temp sear without raising the internal much.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I am in the Tampa Bay area. So where do you live now? There are eggers all over and if someone lives near you, they could tell you where they buy the wood chunks.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Welcome to the family. Most of my grocery stores, hardware store, bbq stores carry the chunks of smmoking wooods. If you still can't find any I would highly recommend www.chiggercreek.com I've ordered from them many times, great product and great customer service.

The way we cook brats in Milwaukee is to brown them, direct at about 325 degrees. Then put them in a mixture of beer, onions, butter and mustard. Then let them simmer till tender. As for the beer I use anything. You don't need a high end beer for this. It's a great way to make ahead for a party. I sometimes cook the brats ahead of time and then put them in the mixture a few hours before the guests arrive.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    I find chunks in Academy Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, and even WalMart
    Kent Madison MS
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I need to try that Ann. Typically I do about the opposite with brats. I let them steep in the kraut and then brown them up. tomato-tamoto
  • Phred721
    Options
    I live in Northern Kentucky, just outside Cincinnati. I was shocked that so many Tuckians have NOT heard of BGE, although they hear about it now (from me).

Thanks
  • Phred721
    Options
    Wow, what a great idea! I have three ways to try them now!

Thanks
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    Congrats on the egg and welcome to the forum... Is Shiner easy to buy in Kentucky? The brewery is not far from Houston (i think around 150 miles)- Shiner makes some good beer.