Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

early wireless guru?

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have one of the early models that sits on the dome vent and uses a spring to open and close the vent, no wires, no fan, no electricity etc. has different screw on pieces set for i believe 185, 220, 240 or something like that. anyone remember those, how do you set the lower vent, quarter, half, fully open :laugh: bought it years ago for making jerky, found i could hold my own temps better but was thinking it might be usefull for overnights at camp when i get there just before midnight and just want to get the butt in there without all the wait
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I remember these. Were they made by BBQ Guru? If so, ask them on their forum or call their 800 number.
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they were the origional pitmaster by guru, pretty simple design, kinda like the old automatic choke spring on a carburetor. didnt know they had a forum, will check it out
    fukahwee maine

• Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Ah..The original Guru...
    Yes we made them for a brief time, I just rebuilt one for a long time customer that had soaked his in amonia and forgot it.
    i would recomend setting your bottom damper at about 1/4" to 1/2" for a cook in the 250degree range.

Great to hear they are still out there and being used.

Kenny
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks, ill start with a quarter open and adjust the top from there, i think you could change the setting slightly by rotating it to tune it in. will be good for camp where my brother or dad could set it up without knowing vent settings etc.
    fukahwee maine

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I haven't been around long enough to have seen or heard of one. Could you post a picture of it? Mike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ill post a pic, but it will be next week before i can get it. its a pretty simple design, you set it for one temp and it will hold it there plus or minus maybe ten degrees, not with the accuracy of todays units but close enough. i found with really low jerky temps it was easier to do it yourself but at higher que temps it worked fine, it eventually got lost in a drawer but i think i have a use for it now :)
    fukahwee maine

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Looking forward to the pics. I can kinda picture how it works when you mentioned the old carburetor choke spring.