Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Guinea hens.........

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a lot of people raising these, but are they good to eat? eems like they would taste like chicken.....just curious...

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Yes. I've had it on a cruise but never cooked it myself. Like anything it has to be done properly. Here are a few links. Now I have to put guinea hen on my wish list. I'd probably do a coq au vin. One suggestion, be sure it has the skin on. I hate skinless bird, and when a friend gives me pheasant it is always skinned. The best part of the bird is the outside.
    PattyO
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=guinea+hen&fnSearchType=site
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GWYF_enUS262US271&q=guinea+hen+recipes
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    Do they taste like chicken or do they have a "wild game" taste to them??
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Definitely not gamey. They are domestic raised so I'm sure as much like chicken as Cornish hens are.
    PattyO
  • RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    Options
    Guinea hen is considered a real delicacy in France - it's called pintade, and you could look for recipes which include it. I'm not sure we've ever eaten it, but we had guineas with our hens for awhile. A friend had recommended them for insect control, particularly for ticks which are a problem around here. However, they got into our garden and seemed to prefer the bean and zucchini buds to bugs; I got no fruit as long as they were around. They are also noisy - "GeGANK geGANK geGANK!" Our poultry yard is on the other side of our garage across the driveway, so it wasn't as bad as the Fowler's toads in the pond right under our windows, but still they did make a racket.

We also had trouble getting them to go into the henhouse at night. They finally learned, but not before we spent weeks corralling them and stuffing them through the little door in the evening. Eventually they started to get the idea, and we would stand outside waiting for the last one to sally in so we could shut them up. All of them would be safely ensconced inside when a random thought would flicker through one pea-sized brain and it would decide that it had something urgent to do out in the yard. All of the others would follow suit and we'd have to wait all over again until it occurred to them, "Hmmmm - dark. Should be inside. Hmmmmm." I used to stand there doubled over with laughter. They finally did figure out the routine, but still, I have never seen anything so witless yet mobile in my life. We ended up giving them to our friend who recommended them to us, where they got picked off by foxes and eagles since she doesn't lock hers up at night.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but I thought the caveat might be helpful if you were considering getting some.
  • QPete
    QPete Posts: 32
    Options
    They do not taste like chicken.

The meat is dark and tougher then chicken, not gamemy, but more strong tasting.

I have had them fried after making stock from the whole bird (boil the whole bird , remove from pot, drain well, fry & add lime, garlic, onions and cilantro sauce, after frying)

Yellow rice and guinea hens is my favorite
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    they look nice and make a great security system, noisy bird, great if you have a neighbor that gives you problems :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    Options
    Any free-range bird is a lot tastier and tenderer if you let it remain refrigerated for 12 to 24 hours before you eat or freeze it. Brining for a few hours before cooking also makes a big difference. Or else if you're freezing it you can dry-brine it when you pack it away, and then thaw it in the plastic bag or a cooler with water, changing the water a couple of times to continue the brining and do away with excess salt.