Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whats the difference between stromboli and calzone

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
seems ive seen both in italian neighborhoods, some folded, some rolled, with or without sauce, with or without cheese, with or without a wash. is it just a name thats interchangeable or is there really a difference or was there a difference
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• QPete
    QPete Posts: 32
    A calzone is more like an inside out pizza (or large empanada)dough in the outside, filling in the inside.

Stromboli, is like stuffed bread, filling is rolled inside the loaf (like a cinnamon bun), sort of a baked sandwich
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    A Stromboli and a Calzone start off the same--both made with pizza dough.

But, their shapes are different. The Calzone's dough starts off like a triangle. The Stromboli dough looks like a long rectangle.

Then come the toppings. The Stromboli gets a healthy portion of mozzarella cheese. The Calzone get a scoop of ricotta and a scoop of mozzarella. That's the main difference right there.

You can add whatever meat you'd like, then fold it up. Bake for about 7 minutes, and there you have it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have wondered the same thing. One observation is calzones are usually folded, and strombollis are rolled. I prefer the strombolli because IMO they tend to be less doughy. Now I'm hungry for Italiano!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Besides folding or rolling, Calzone always has ricotta in the middle and no sauce (Sauce on the side for dipping); Stomboli usually more pizza like: no ricotta but always has sauce inside.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good question. They look kind of alike at the mall :sick:
    Got to go where they make good ones and try....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    thats the thing, i have seen them either way in the italian north end of boston and the name seems interchangeable depending on location.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    what got me thinking of this was a meatball and sauce calzone i ate earlier in the week at balducci's :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    i like the calzones that are rolled to with the little slits on top and an egg wash. just like a stromboli ;) thats the way i used to see them in boston, then about 15 or so years ago they were folded everywhere whwn all the pizza places started making them, not just the italians, we have alot of greek pizzarias north of boston
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    i dont think ive ever seen ricotta in a calzone, im more confused now
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    maybe i havent seen a true stromboli, cause i dont thik ive eaten one that was more puffy like bread
    fukahwee maine

• F308gt4
    F308gt4 Posts: 35
    My mom is an italian immigrant, and she makes calzone's all the time.

But, what is interesting is that her calzones are deep fried. Dough, stuffed with mozzarella cheese, and a little bit of tomato, then into a pan filled with oil.

First time I had a calzone that wasn't one of hers I was really confused, sinec it was baked, not fried.

She's from Southern Italy- May be a regional thing?
  • fishlessman
    idont know, but stuffed fried dough sounds great :)
    fukahwee maine

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    All of the above sounds pretty damn good to me. I too have wondered the difference.
  • fishlessman
    must either be a regional thing or a family thing with the italians, it doesnt matter what they call it, its just good
    fukahwee maine

• Probably would have been nice if you would have given credit for where you got this definition. :huh:

http://www.nbcaugusta.com/features/goodquestion/3810731.html