Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats Cookin this Weekend?

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Just curious about whats cookin this weekend. Seems like there have been a lot of newcomers to the group in the past couple of weeks and it would be interesting to see what they are cooking and what some of the old timers are cooking as well.[p]I have a low and slow marathon planned on Saturday. I have a whole lake trout and 4 salmon fillets to smoke and while I'm at it I plan on cooking a batch of beef jerkey as well. Not at the same time mind you, the fish would really taste bad if I tried that. hehehe[p]Then, Sunday I have an interesting recipe for some seared Pork Chops that I've been hankerin' to try. I plan on using a Loin that I have, its thawing now and should be ready for cooking on Sunday sometime. I'll let you know if it turns out well but it sounds great on paper.[p]Big yard weekend planned, since the cast is off the broken hand I'm trying to catch up with the early spring stuff that I missed. It will be nice to be working in the yard with that sweet smell of Q wafting throughout the neighborhood. Weather should be perfect as well, mid 70's and sunny. Life is good.[p]Troy

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    sprinter,
    I just started yesterday...cooked whole chicken with my own rub and smoked it in Jack Daniels wood chips. Cook with a Polder for 3 hours....my wife said she never thought chicken could be so moist.
    Tomorrow...cookin baby back ribs in molasses and Jack Daniels (local recipe in FL) with hickory chips. Should take about 3 hours.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    We are gonna get that rain yall been gettin. Not sure what's cookin this weekend, but right now I have a full slab of spare ribs on for a 2 oclock lunch. Gonna try these for 5 and a half hours at 240 over water. Classic treatment of mustard and JJ's Rub.[p]Enjoy the fine weather!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Chief ,
    When you get a chance, if you wouldn't mind, could you post that rib recipe?? Sounds awesome.[p]Have you tried brining a chicken yet??[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have the recipe at home...I will post it.
    No I know nothing about brine??? I saw a recipe on the net but don't quite know what brine is....

• Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I did some just like that, let them sit in the rub /mustard in a plastic bag overnight.
    Then I wraped them and reheated the next night. Great taste and I liked the change because I almost always cook babbybacks. They were moist but still somewhat cured because of the pepper and Montreal Steak seasoning and teryaki. Im so happy summer is almost here.[p]happy egg/Q'ing[p][p]altern

• Unknown
    Options
    Chief,
    Last 3 pound fryer chicken I did was brined and boy was it moist and flavorful. Use a simple salt and sugar+ water, go heavy on the salt and sugar its ok. Soak for at least an hour, the biger the bird, the longer soak. I was good at about 4 hours. Then try a setter..place the bird so its butt os in a can of beer/spices or a ceramic sitter. I then placed the whole bird over hot coals to char it for a few minuted for crispy skin after a 4 hour smoke. Hope this helps.[p] alternity [p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    alt,
    They have been cooking for over 3 hours now. Dome temp was 250, now 225. Boy dey smell shweeet.[p]Will start brushing on sauce at 4.5 hours.
    Raining here now, but any weather is good Qin weather.[p]Q on
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Chief,
    Thanks. I will keep an eye out for your recipe.[p]Brining consists of soaking meat in a solution of water, salt, sugar (or honey or mollasses), and spices. I won't explain the science, but it gets flavor deep into the meat, and creates juicy results even if slightly overcooked. Brine times for chickens are usually 12-24 hours. Then the brine is rinsed off, and then you can do your rub under the skin if desired.[p]Here is a link to Brant's Beer Butt Chicken. It is a great recipe if you want to try it. Even if you don't do the whole recipe his way, the brine recipe is perfect. The balance of honey and salt is just right. The times he specifies is just right. Great instructions, and a primo brine to try for your first go.[p]A simple salt/sugar brine works well, but when you do Brant's, you realize how much flavor gets deep into the meat.[p]Enjoy
    NB

[ul][li]Brant's Brine[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I'm not going to do much cooking this weekend. My family's taking me out to Morton's tonight for my birthday. I told my mother she could just buy some nice steaks and I'd cook them, but she knows that I've been wanting to check this place out for a long time.[p]Saturday and Sunday is the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival - see www.bayblues.org - and I'll be there (not playing, just having a good time). I wish I could cook there - the barbecue I had there last year was horrible! Maybe Sunday night I'll have a chance to Egg.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Happy Birthday! Please enjoy it to the fullest.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, Happy Birthday! Make sure you let us know which was best, your steaks or Mortons!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    sprinter,
    Tonight it's pork tenderloins with Original Char Crust, 350F for 45 minutes, just like TimM at Eggfest. Tomorrow night we're doing some ribeyes with Andria's steak sauce on them, high temp probably 2/2/5 for the wife, maybe less for me. Sunday it's some thick pork chops that have been brining since yesterday afternoon. Gonna take them out tomorrow morning and marinate them in a good jerk marinade I got from somewhere. Then another high temp cook for them. Can't wait to get Humpty fired up.
    Happy Q'n
    JimW