Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hebrew National Quarter Pounders

triehle98triehle98 Posts: 208
edited 10:15PM in EggHead Forum
On the mini , scored and sprinkled with DP Pineapple head... stole the idea from someone on the forum , thanks for the idea

40301_1283365659172_1681039471_551428_4953664_n.jpg

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,293
    Did you use that razor blade to score them? Nice work.

I am loving these quarter pounders from Hebrew National. Not only are they the perfect size, they have the best flavor IMO.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • triehle98triehle98 Posts: 208
    I didnt use that razor or else my hands would have looked like the dogs by the time i finished. Dunno what thats doing on my table.. I better go get that before one of the kids find it lol. I really like the taste and texture of the hebrew dogs , I just dont like the price of them. I am going to try the Boars Head quarter pounders tomorrow to compare because the HN cost $6 per lb and the Boars Head is only $2.40 per lb but they are pork and beef mix.
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Mmmm
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,455
    It's really wild to see the wild stuff folks are doing with PH. I had no idea when I came up with the recipe thinking fruit and veggies.

Dang those look good.
    Thanks
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • XLeggoXLeggo Posts: 10
    Hebrew Nationals are definately my hotdog of choice.
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Nice looking dogs Tony. I never have scored them like that. You made them look good though. I'm in the same boat as you. I like the dogs but dont like the price.
    Heath , the Boars head from publix are going on for lunch tomorrow. I score em,put em on the mini @275 and let em open up a little and when the juices start to come to the surface I sprinkle them with the PH . They get all good and candied from the sugar in the PH . They really hold the seasoning well when you score them. Thanks for looking yall , Ill post the Boars head tomorrow in this thread and let yall know what the diff is.
    Thanks for looking yall
  • Looking forward to the results of your taste test.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    This one is too far down.Not many will see it.Start a new one and let us know how they compare.PLEEZE. ;)
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hoss...Don't know what view you are presently using, but if you use classic view "Active" thread first, the thread will pop to the top every time somebody posts to it. Just FYI if you're interested in trying it. :)
    Thanks.I'm in Classic.I don't know which thread first but stuff disappears quick. :huh: :S
    It WORKED! THANKS!!! :)
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,672
    who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks :whistle: :laugh:
    :laugh: :All this time and NEVER knew it!!!laugh: :laugh: :blush: :blush: :blush: :S
    Glad I could help! :)
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Pat,

Hoss learned to cook chicken at 400 raised grid at least 3 times. :ohmy: :whistle: :laugh:

That kinda memory I can relate to. :)
    :P :P :P ;)
    Hey Hoss dont waste your time , these sucked so bad!!!!!!
    they did not absorb any seasonings (dp PH )

I could not believe how bad these SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These 1/4lb Boars head hot dogs make me seriously question everything else they offer.
    They are the worst ever in my opinion.

BAR S is a better hotdog compared to BH ... wow I cannot believe my senses right now

35968_1284408365239_1681039471_553706_6246969_n.jpg
    Oh oh...you got the skinless BH's, didn't you... :sick: Those somehow seem to have the same texture as a tofu dog!! :blink: :pinch: We do like the BH all beef in the natural casings, but they are skinny like sabretts. Those skinless ones though... :sick:
    We buy the HN when we want the fat dogs for sure. (We've seen the HN a few times buy 1 get 1 free...I always take advantage of that!)
    WOW! Thanks for the HEADS UP!!! :( Hate it did'nt work out.Like they say,You get what you pay for,if you're LUCKY!!! :whistle:
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Has anyone..besides me!..tried the quarter pound Nathans served at Sams? They sell them by the 40 pound case. Excellent dogs.
    Yes LC this is the only option I have when it comes to 1/4 lb hot dogs in my neck of the woods. Hn is all beef w/skin , BH is pork/Beef w/o skin ...this seems to be the norm when it comes to the availability of 1/4lb's in a national chain.

I cannot believe how big a difference I ran across . cooked the same way . I wasted so much DP PH trying to get the BH to atleast hang on to it. after my experiment , they both cost the same considering the difference in dp retention and cost per LB

all in all , I gained weight doing this so some kid in africa would greatly benefit from some BH weiners lol
    hornhonk
    I plan to go to Costco and Sams tomorrow and purchase a few pkgs of 1/4lb hotdogs and see how they compare . I hope to keep this thread going til i find the best dog per LB ... Pearls will cost me $13 per lb so I feel this info will help others make a good alternative selction . I sure as hell wont pay $13 per lb unless its KOBE LOL
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    They only sell the all beef quarter pound Nathans at the deli inside my Sams. I haven't seen any pound packs. If you find some , let me know. Buying 40 pounds of hot dogs at a time is a real pain in the a@@. :(