Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a new egg an am looking for the best way to cook a steak.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Bob,
    Eggtoberfest is going on this weekend, so it may be a couple of days before you get the 30 to 40 responses that I'm sure will come your way.[p]In the mean time, you can do a search on here for steak or TREX and it should show you the way.[p]Basically, lots of lump, well above the ho-les in the fire ring, bring this to the molten Lava stage 800-1000° then apply your steak for 1 to 2 minutes on each side to sear it. Remove steaks, close down the vents to cool the egg until it reaches 350°, re-apply steaks and cook until internal temperature is to your liking.[p]Oh yea,don't forget the rub. Depending on your camp, it will range from Dizzy-pig, to McCormick's to a special home blend, or a number fo others.[p]There will be other's that can explain in detail and do a much better job than me, but hopefully this will tide you over until they can weigh in.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Bob,[p]Here's the steak method Bobby-Q was referring to. [p]Good luck![p]TRex[p]
    [ul][li]Sear . . . Rest . . . Roast[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    TRex,[p]Isn't it the greatest having folks refer to a recipe by your name? I can only hope that, one day, folks will make Mark Backer Tenderloins or something like that.[p]A boy can dream...
  • Mark Backer,
    I know what you mean. If I ever perfect ice tea on the egg.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The Naked Whiz,
    well
    ...a couple of the ladies in the neighborhood keep tellin my wife they'd like to lunch on stike's butt.[p]everyone loves the egg!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mark Backer
    stike,[p]Several of the ladies at the office frequently talk kindly about "todd's butt" and how they "sure wish they could have a little more of todd's butt" and the often tell other folks "how great todd's butt is," but that's as far as it usually goes. [p]I will work hard in 2005 to make something to name after me. I need a legacy.
  • strip%20steak%20%2020040812.JPG
    <p />Bob,
    Sear, rest, and roast like previously posted is the way to go. I get the small egg rolling about 700+ and drop the steaks right on there. I usualy get sirloin strips about 1 1/2" thick, so a good 2 minute sear on both sides is a good start. I let the flames roar right on the steaks. After the sear is done, I pull the steaks, let sit for 15 to 20 minutes, close down the air vents (not all the way so I avoid flashback), and roast them for about 7 minutes a side @ 350. Usualy I let the steak stand for another 2 minutes after removing from the egg to let the juices settle throughout the meat before cutting.I like a nice pink steak all the way through, not red, so I guess you could call that medium. It's trial and error for cook times, but after 4 0r 5 steaks you'll master it.[p]hear is a pic of one of mmy first[p]

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Bob,[p]I think the T. rex method may be the very best technique, but here is the "3/3/4" method. I think it is easier, faster, and almost as good: [p]Sprinkle the steaks with Worcestershire sauce and seasoned salt. Get your Big Green Egg up to 500. Sear the steaks for three minutes per side. Shut all the vents and let it "dwell" for four minutes. Then open the vents and "burp" the Egg (to avoid a flashback). Open the Egg and take off your steaks.[p]
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    egghead2004,
    MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm. Looks great! I like mine a little more red though. Thanks for the pic.

• Mark Backer
    Prof Dan,[p]Dude!! That's how I do it!! After several tries at Trex-ing, we finally just said screw it and settled for very hot egg (700-750) 3 minutes per side on 1.5 inch ribeyes, then shut the vents for about 4 minutes per side. [p]let em sit for a few minutes while sides are prepared and viola!!! Greatest.steaks.ever.[p]I'm glad i wasn't hallucinating or chasing a unicorn. I already make 'em pretty good.[p](I've got two ready to go tonight as my pre-eggfest sorbet).
  • Swagit
    Swagit Posts: 7
    Mark Backer,
    I used a similar "sear and dwell" my first few times, but my bride commented that they seemed to be a little too "bloody". Since, I have used the TRex method and have not heard anything but "These are great honey"! Do you think that perhaps I didn't dwell long enough, or maybe the "rest" redistributes the "juices"?
    Looking forward to tomorrow!
    David

• Mark Backer
    Swagit,[p]I don't profess to being an expert at anything but eating, but I have found that, if the steak's not done enough, it's because I didn't get the egg hot enough. [p]It's sort of like delicious math word problems that you have to make mental or actual notes on to get it right. If you always get your meat from the same butcher like me, you get more consistent results because telling him an inch and a half thick will usually be the same thicknes. [p]anyway, it's always X thickness of steak times Y minutes on the grill at Z degrees on each side, then A minutes with the vents shut gets you:[p]a) rare
    b) med rare
    c) med
    d) med well
    e) well[p]The only way to do this is either use two different thicknesses to see how the same time affects them, or try several times with the same thicknesses. [p]My wife likes MW or more, so I can't hurt hers. I get mine like I like and sneak up on hers, and she's usually quite happy. [p]p.s. will there be any math tomorrow? In case I fall and hit my head, I want to be at my best. Maybe if I trip and bump the noggin it'll be like when george costanza gave up sex to get smarter and elaine gave up being smarter for more sex. [p](I'll be the one getting smarter!! LOL)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Mark Backer,
    Man, you are just straight up nuts. This should be fun tomorrow.[p]Sorry about not making it to the lunch for those that attended, work has a way of creeping into my days even when it'snot supposed to....grrrrrr.

• Mark Backer
    Bobby-Q,[p]You don't know the half of it, Bobby-q. [p]Look forward to meeting yinz tomorrow. My wife will be the one covering her face in shame...
  • Prof Dan
    Swagit,[p]If you like them more medium than well (or if they are thicker than usual, i.e., more like an inch and a half instead of an inch), sometimes I do them at 3 1/2 minutes a side and then let them dwell for 4 1/2 minutes.

• Mark Backer
    Prof Dan,[p]It's like you're reading my mind. Tonights are a little thinner, so I'll knock 30 seconds off of all three times and they'll be perfect.[p]By the way, my butcher has ny strips (whole) for 4.99 per pound this weekend. [p]I'm gonna pick me one up in the morning.
  • Swagit
    Swagit Posts: 7
    Prof Dan,
    Being from Arizona, I'm from the "slap 'em on the butt and run 'em through the fire" school. My dear wife just has this thing about the pink baked potato. I'll take your advice and keep experimenting. I thank you![p]David

• Prof Dan
    Swagit,[p]That reminds me of the William H. Macy line in "Happy Texas," when he orders a steak in a restaurant:[p]"I want a rare steak and I mean rare. Just kill it, dehorn it, wipe its butt and send it on in." [p]A little crude, but I understand exactly what he means.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Bob,[p]Hey Bob.... "Bob" is my original handle and I'm now getting your email. Please register under a different name. (Then I'll tell you how to cook that steak) LOL

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Mark Backer,[p]It is quite humbling, and I smile everytime. I'm just glad that I was able to add something to this forum after it has given me (and continues to give me) so much great information.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex