Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gluten in Charcoal

smoker22smoker22 Posts: 12
edited 4:17PM in EggHead Forum
I have a friend that wont it food cooked over briquets because he has Celiac disease..sensitive to wheat gluten..he doesnt know so i asked you guys how is it possible to have a reaction unless you eat a briquet.
·

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    you should be using lump in your egg anyway unless you are smoking cheese....

but unless he eats the charcoal he should be fine..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 169
    Having a mother in-law with Celiac I can tell you that if a crouton touches a salad plate and then removed she will have a reaction to eating that salad despite never eating the crouton. Some people are more sensitive than others. I don't know if using briquettes will hurt or not. When I cook for her I try to eliminate all chances of contamination. My suggestion, don't cook with briquettes. Use Lump.
    ·
  • Some briquettes use wheat paste as a binder. I suppose that gluten could get from the briquettes onto the food via the smoke. You'd think it would burn and be destroyed, but it's too close to Beer O'Clock to go check.....
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • maybe in briquettes, but not in lump charcoal
    ·
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 761
    Cross contamination - dust from the briquettes floats in the air and settles on the grate or the lid and later gets on the food. It's unlikely, but not impossible, and some folks have such nasty reactions to gluten that it's just not worth the risk.

I can't even toast my GF bread in the toaster at work without getting sick. :sick:
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
    ·