Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anaheim ? Pepper pic

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, here is a pic of the peppers I have in my kitchen. Note how even the straight ones are still 'twisted'.

DSC_0093.jpg

Are these Anaheims or some other pepper?

They are thin-walled like the peppers you see on salad bars.

Thanks !! :)

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    be9a12da.jpg

They could be....The broad term for peppers like these are New Mexico peppers, and the varieties include Anaheim's, Big Jims, Nu Mex, Hatch, Dynamite and many others. Yours are red because they have been on the plant long enough to ripen more. The red ones will be a hair sweeter than the green ones of the same variety.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Are they near any other types of pepper? You sometimes get some cross pollination if you grow different varieties close to each other. Sometime they make for interesting eating, usually they are mishapen and not viable.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Chris, yes they are growing very close to green bells, orange bells, & jalapenos - all in one Earthbox. They don't seem to show signs of cross pollination as all the peppers on the plant ( red & green) look and taste very similar, allowing for the red/green difference.

My concern with roasting them is the thinness of the wall, that after roasting and removing the skin, there won't be much left, if the skin can be peeled without tearing it up.
    They seem to be less than half the thickness of the jalapenos and bells.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Cross-pollination will not affect this year's fruit. It will result in the seed of this year's fruit yielding a crossed fruit in the next generation.

I don't think you'll ever get those twisted ones to blister and peel. I'd try one of the straighter ones and see what happens.

Weird that the flesh is so thin. My Big Jim Numex peppers look a great deal like that, without the curling. Their flesh is very thick and the skin blisters in a few seconds and peels off in one or two pieces. Like thirdeye posted, Anaheims, California, and Numex chiles are all closely related.

Off to smoke some jalapenos...
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    Clark --

Note that if you roast them while still green, they will work out a bit better for you. I don't have a good explanation, but the wall thickness on these types of chiles seems to decrease as they mature. Also, I don't see the shape as a problem -- roast a large number of them and then bag them together. With that much ambient heat, the skins will definitely steam off, even in areas that aren't blistered.

One other note: when we lived in New Mexico, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I used to buy a 50# sack of roasted green chile every fall (the whole state would smell like roasted chiles for about a month). We would bring the sack home and after the chiles cooled, we would freeze them in 1# or 2# packages -- before peeling them (a NM old-timer turned us on to this method). When defrosted, removing the skins was trivial.

Also -- I haven't forgotten about your hot sauce recipes, I've just been busy drinking the past couple of nights and haven't dug them out.

Matt
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Matt.

No problem with the sauce recipes. I won't be able to make any for a while, as I have a busy work schedule this week and will be traveling this weekend to Arkansas to hold my new grandson.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Clark, you heading to H.S this weekend? I think me and Doreen are heading up as well just for the day Sat and spend the night. Probably stay at the Arlington since just a night and as hot as its supposed to still be may need to sit at the bar and relax most of the day with this heat. Congrats on the new born and have fun with him! ;)