Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When can we start cooking at Eggtoberfest?

Options
Smokin Bill
Smokin Bill Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be preparing pulled pork for Eggtoberfest this year. In the past, I've always started them the day before and pull them off the smoker at home just before heading down to Eggtoberfest.

Is it possible to start cooking earlier than Saturday morning?

Or are there any ideas on how to keep the butts as warm as possible for 14+ hours before I can start them back on the egg?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Bill, I don't think you can get an egg to cook on the night before (from the organizers of the event), but you can bring your own egg & start the cook so it is finished whenever you want it... as for keeping it warm for 14 hours, not sure that's possible, cool & reheat it maybe
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • John Fulcher
    Options
    I have the same question.

It says we can cook on some eggs on Friday night, but I guess we can't leave them going overnight? That's unfortunate. I won't be doing my pork this year then. They should have thought of that when they said people can camp.

No way I'm bringing my egg and risk breaking it during transport.

I'm hoping they come up with a solution for this!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There is a 6-8 hour window of time from cook registration opening until the closing of the fest during which you cook and serve your dish(es).

It has always been this way. It's not like the rules changes after you made plans to do a 15-20 hour cook.

The vast majority of people choose to cook item(s) that they can easily prep, cook, and serve inside the constraints of that window. Those that choose to do brisket or butts generally start them at home and bring them to the fest to finish.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    BGE is providing BBQ Friday Night.
  • John Fulcher
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    There is a 6-8 hour window of time from cook registration opening until the closing of the fest during which you cook and serve your dish(es).

It has always been this way. It's not like the rules changes after you made plans to do a 15-20 hour cook.

The vast majority of people choose to cook item(s) that they can easily prep, cook, and serve inside the constraints of that window. Those that choose to do brisket or butts generally start them at home and bring them to the fest to finish.

I understand that. I've been doing just that since 2005. However this year they made the eggfest such a distance from me that I'm planning on camping out. They are also forcing us to attend Friday night by charging us for it. I'm not going to not attend something I paid for.

How hard would it be for them to set aside some eggs to start use on Friday night. It's like they aren't encouraging anyone to make anything that cooks slow which is where the BGE excels. I could cook it and cool it before I arrive Friday mid-day and then just re-heat it, but that's going to taste like crap so I may as well not.
  • Smokin Bill
    Options
    Fidel,

I've cooked at every Eggtoberfest since 2000 or 2001 (I only missed last year's). I've prepared pulled pork at every one of those events, both at the 57th Fighter Group Restaurant and the BGE "back yard". I think that I can safely say that I know "how it's always been".

This year, if we cannot use the BGE provided eggs early, I will have to either 1)bring my egg with me (assuming that is allowed) and get there Friday around noon, 2)not attend the Friday night party, or 3)not prepare pulled pork.

If pushed, I will probably give up the Friday night party. Preparing pulled pork is something that I, in my opinion, have come darned near to perfecting. Pulled pork is "old time" barbecue. Most of us have been to back road barbecue joints and remember the taste and "mouth feel" of "old time" pulled pork we ate there. It's one of the staples of barbecuing. And it's one of the dishes that shows off why we have and use a Big Green Egg.

I really enjoy showing others that ANYONE can make pulled pork in their egg. There is no magic in making "old time" pulled pork. It's LOTS of hard work, but ANYONE can do it. I really enjoy having people come up to me and tell me that they were able to prepare pulled pork for their friends and family after I showed them my process.

This year, it's not "how it's always been". BGE has drastically changed the "rules" of Eggtoberfest. This is the first time they have held it in this location and may not have thought of how this impacts those of us who pre-cook and finish off at Eggtoberfest.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    With all due respect, how is it that moving the site 30 miles somehow removes you ability to start cooking pork in advance of the event - the same as you have always done?

When they moved from Chamblee to Tucker did your ability to pre-cook your pork change?
  • Smokin Bill
    Options
    Fidel,

You missed the point.

I (and everyone else that prepares slow cooked dishes for Eggtoberfest) were able to attend the Friday night party without leaving our eggs unattended for "too" long. We could get to the party within 30-45 minutes and back home even quicker. Now, however, to get to the Eggtoberfest site, we have to go down I-75 and Hwy 19/41 very early on Friday or just as rush hour is ramping up. Those roads are the main routes for some of Atlanta's southeastern bedroom communities. I'd be gone from at least 3 PM (shortly after I put the butts on the egg) until 10:30 - 11 at the earliest. Seven to eight hours is WAY too long to leave a low & slow smoking session unattended (especially at the beginning of the session).

I just re-read the Eggtoberfest flyer and saw the line "EGGs will be available for use on Friday night, so you are also welcome to bring something of your own along to cook as well."

If they are allowing the participants to cook at the Friday party, they might be willing to let us keep the eggs going throughout the night.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Bill, I want to try some of your pulled pork at the fest, so I hope they are accommodating to you and the others who want to do low and slows. Have you tried calling the headquarters and asking them what they will and will not allow? I would imagine they would want people like you to show off the best of what a BGE can do and would accommodate you.
  • John Fulcher
    Options
    That 30 miles turns a 15 minute drive into a 1-1.5 hour drive for me. Also I never attended the Friday night event just because of starting the meat.

However this year they are forcing us to pay for the Friday night event, so why wouldn't I go?

This means 1.5 hours each way friday and 1.5 hours each way Saturday if I don't camp. So I'm going to camp - which they are encouraging. Because of this I can't start a low and slow on Friday.

So you guys miss out instead unless they figure something out!