Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fit my 17 1/4 lb turkey in my Medium

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're trying to reduce the amount of frozen food in our freezers (which resulted from me buying my first Egg a few years ago and then going crazy buying meat everytime I saw a good deal :P ) So I thawed out a 17 1/4 lb turkey that I actually had gotten for free with some "bonus points" at Giant, seasoned it and cooked it in my MBGE I keep up at my hunting camp. It was a tight fit, but it turned out great.
Vent view
004-2.jpg
Part way through the cook-Egg at 325*
005-2.jpg
Finished!
006-1.jpg
It took over 15 minutes per pound because even though I took the bird out of the freezer 7 days earlier, it was still slightly frozen on the inside when I went to cook it. :angry: When I stuck the Polder in it, it was 32* deep in the breast, but I was committed to the cook, so I went with it. ;)
Thanks for looking.
Brian

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That's the way to roll!Bird looks good.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Nice we are doing a turkey on our camping trip next week. first part of the week it is helping keep the cooler cold LOL will cook when it thaws.. we have ten days so should be ok
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Great looking bird

I have been Qing for 30 plus years and there was a reason why I would do a BBQ

Since I bought the XL Egg about a year ago I have been buying way too much meat....I now buy meat and then figure out what I am going to do with all of the BBQed meat

It is way too easy doing a Q with the Egg and the Stoker

I now have a whole shoulder in the Egg and it will be ready to take to our office tomorrow for a pulled pork lunch tomorrow

I think it is time for me to start an AA for people like me...it can be called "BBQ Meat Buyer Anonymous"
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Thanks, Hoss. actually, we had planned to have it for dinner when I made it on Sunday night, but 'til I got done dealing with it being frozen and seeing the temp on the Polder, we went out for pizza while the bird cooked. We just ate it tonight :lol:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Julie- I may have the only Egg in Potter County. There aren't any dealers anywhere close. Any chance you're camping in Tioga??
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    thailandjohn-Sign me up!! I know I have a problem when the first thing I look at in the Sunday newspaper are the grocery store flyers!
    Brian
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    looks great brian!! ...did you make gravy after all the lessons i've given you?
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Hey Max!!! How've you been buddy?? Actually, I did not make gravey. This was the first bird I did on my Medium, and I wasn't sure how my set up would work as far as the drippings. (Woo 2 with pizza stone on the bottom, then green feet, then round drip pan from Ceramic grill store, then the round grid) Since the bird ran late, while it was cooking I mowed grass until dark, so I didn't mess with the gravy. But Julie was looking for some Mad Max gravy in the freezer tonight that I saved from an earlier cook ;)
    Brian
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Rolling with it in a calm manner is half the battle Brian. Looks good!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hi brian ....doing well ..hope you guys are as well!. ..yeah, pull that old gravy out of the freezer. .use it like a starter and just add some extra chicken broth to it make some more. ...it will still work good!!. ..that bird looked great.. ..
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Great looking bird.I Didn't think you could get it to fit good job. Would love to have a egg here @ my camper in Missouri but to many thieves around.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    When I'm in that situation I usually run hot water thru the turkey for two reasons: it thaws the frozen bits and helps in bringing up the internal temp of the bird. If you then microwave your stuffing to suer hot and quickly stuff the hot stuffing in the hot inside of the turkey and immediately throw the turkey on the Egg, you can then safely cook the stuffing in the turkey on the Egg. When the turkey is done then the stuffing should be up to 170-180 degrees. Otherwise did it out and put it back on the Egg to finish while you carve the turk and prepare the rest of the meal.

coldcanuck
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ottawa...Surprised to see you back frankly. You were as disrespectful in your post as any human being I have ever seen on this forum. I don't believe I need to elaborate, but I certainly will if needed. Fortunately for you, your post was deleted, so there is no history to be seen. I am surprised to see somebody so calloused and insensitive be back so soon. I hope in your passing, you are returned the injustice.
    And in response to your turkey advice, WHAT? Just scoop out the stuffing and you will be fine? Ok.
    Boss Hog...Forgive me for speaking my mind. I hope this does not hijack the thread. Nice looking bird!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Nice bird Brian! :)

I got a chuckle when I read your post. I keep telling myself, "No, don't buy it and freeze it, you'll just forget about it". Then I buy it, freeze it, and forget about it, lol.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Looks great Brian! Now I know how big a bird I can fit on the Medium. You'll probably never see a wild turkey running around those woods now! :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    hey Brian, we are going to be in southern NY in Troupsburg. looks like we are north west of you. if you do not have anything going on head on up! would love to see you and we can have an egg feast!
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wernersville&1s=PA&1y=US&1l=40.330002&1g=-76.080803&1v=CITY&2c=Troupsburg&2s=NY&2y=US&2l=42.043598&2g=-77.546402&2v=CITY
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow, that's a big turkey and you did a great job of roasting it in your medium egg. Nice work!

I could go for some turkey about now. I got thighs in the feezer and I think I'll brine them with the skin off and see how they cook on the grill.

Good luck with the pulled beef BBQ. Take some pictures if ya can. ;) Have fun!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I can taste it from here... :);)
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Molly-I said I "went with it". I didn't say I did it in a calm manner :woohoo:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Eenie (but not a meenie ;) )-We currently run 2 freezers. One for the wild game I shoot, and 1 for the normal stuff. I'm trying to get down to a single freezer. My wife's an enabler. Everytime I show her a good deal at the grocery store she says "buy it". Later she tells me we should only run 1 freezer. :huh:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Clay,
    All that work, you can bet there will be pics!! Thanks for your help.
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Dale-Glad to see you survived Pittsburgh. I see you took a doctor along just in case!
    Brian