Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked egg, less than enthusiastic dealer

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my egg is cracked. :(
but it is an egg so it has a lifetime warrantee :)
So I go to the dealer where I bought it
The dealer that has sold at least a few eggs because of me
The dealer that carried dizzy pig (which sells like crazy) because of me
and I get the ho hum...
"I need pictures..."
"could you send those to my distributor..."
"want to buy one of these oval jobs..."
Anyway, I just sent my pictures to the distributor and am hoping for a good response.

DSC_1192.jpg

In the table:
DSC_1194.jpg

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Have you checked the inside of the Egg to see if that crack goes through? It almost looks like a superficial glazing crack from here.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning egginator:

When I found the crack across the base of one of my Eggs I sent pictures to BobbyQ at the mothership (of course it may help that I know Bobby from EggFests) and they sent back an email indicating the repair was covered by warranty. I then took that email to my closest dealer who wasn't able to help me because they do such a small volume it would probably be 2 months before they made another order. I then went to a larger dealer and had the new base in less than 2 weeks. He did charge $15 for shipping which I felt was reasonable. Hope you're able to eventually get your dealer to be as helpful.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    My dealer is great, but they have to deal with the distributor too, and my dealer's distributor also demanded photos of a cracked firebox and a cracked shell. It's par for the course.
    The Naked Whiz
  • egginator
    Options
    Haven't checked the inside, but I will. Thanks
  • egginator
    Options
    BobbyQ is awesome, but I'll give the dealer a chance just to be fair.
  • egginator
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give them a chance. It's not terrible yet, but it worries me.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    If you need any help just shoot Bruce an e-mail. He will take care of you.

Did something happen to the EGG® to cause it to crack? Maybe a table bump or something? Just curious.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I believe we are in the same local and I had to send pictures in just like you for warranty items.....no biggy, it's just the process so parties involved are properly reimbursed......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • and, almost in the same spot. It came down the side and part way across the bottom.

No problem, took the required photos and drove (because I'm retired and I chose to) the distributor in New Hampshire to pick up my new base.

Couldn't have been easier.

The dealer, (Kirley Masonry in Mansfield Mass.Mr. Strom is the owner) made all of the calls and arrangements and the distributor was equally as helpful.

Three fireboxes and a couple of fire rings cracked over the years and this was the first photo I've had to take. Just went to the dealer and told him and he grabbed a new "whatever" and handed it to me!
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Thanks for taking this customer service opportunity. Good move.
  • egginator
    Options
    No table bumps or drops. Noticed it after a 15 pizza night. That table is almost a year old and I never noticed the crack before a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't easy getting the egg in the table, but I don't recall anything overly violent. There's a nice gap all around, so It's not pinched or anything. I am sure the dealer will take care of me. When he does I'll post pics of my nice new clean egg bottom!

Thanks,

Ed