Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting the large

rho1640
rho1640 Posts: 118
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do I want from the dealer and what do I want from (oh crud - brain drain just hit on the name sorry) the guy here who has all the neat toys and tools like the higher rack etc. Sorry - doubling up on meds on doctors orders and I swear it has knocked my IQ down a LOT

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    That would be the Ceramic Grill Store. -RP
  • rho1640
    Thank you. I have looked at the store a thousand times which makes it really sad that the name flew out of my brain. I want everything he has which is why I need a list of what to start with so I can add to my treasures later
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    The Platesetter is the most important acc. with the thermopen.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I agree that a platsetter is almost a necessity, a pizza stone and some type of raised grid, unless you intend to buy one of Tom's rigs..if that's the case skip the raised grid from the dealer...Enjoy..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have the platesetter but do not use (hardly ever)now that I have the adj rig. How important is the platesetter with the spyder and adj rig?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I could see where one wouldn't use a platesetter near as much with the AR and spider...I didn't get the spider with mine, and I really do need to get one...this is a very good point, and putting the price of the PS towards the price of the AR makes even more sense...
  • I haven't used my platesetter since I got my AR and spider. In fact, the only time I may use the platesetter is when I'm doing a turkey that requires a larger drip pan.

God eggin'
    -Paul
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I think I'm the only one here who doesn't use the AR on long and slow cooks. The one time I did I ran out of charcoal. Many others have success though. With the plate setter I can add more charcoal but the AR won't fit with it. And I can fit five 8 lbs butts with the plate setter anyway. The spider with the small CI grate is how I do steaks and they come out great without having to get the egg to 650+ degrees. Also make sure to get an ash tool.
  • rho1640
    Won't I still use the platesetter for breads and pizza... I know I will be doing a lot of those.