Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to order with my first BGE

Options
Fearless Flatlander
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This summer I used a cast iron hibachi, 12 gallan pasta pot, two lengths of 12 inch flashing, a small round flat rock and an electric stove burner cover to cook several beer butt chikens. They were great. So I decided that it was time to start rubbing, smoking and grilling for real. Spent lots of time on the web. Have been reading the forum for the last month. Will be ordering my large BGE from a company with friendly helpful people on the phone, I have been something of a pest, three or four question calls. The whole package includes nest, side tables, daisy wheel, cover, stainless draught doors and a couple other items. My first question is what else should I get as far as accessories so I can hit the ground sitting while the egg cooks. As you can tell I like a good jury rig, but sometimes an item that is store bought works even better. Next question, what don't I need that someone might want to sell me? I do suffer from a bad case of "Boy, do I need that." Last question, what is the importance of the difference between dome and grill tempurature. I do have a temp gauge that tells both the meat temp and the temp inside the pasta pot/smoker. Have fun in Egglanta will be there next year if the egg and I bond. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,[p]Something that I use on a regular basis is the plate setter (see link and page down a little to "Now Available"! You can use fire bricks as an alternative. Also a pizza stone. Pizza on the egg is great (and fun).[p]smokey_ani.gif
    [ul][li]plate setter[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,
    I would get an extra cooking grid so you can make a raised grid. I personally only use the plate setter and pizza stone for pizza, so if you don't want to spend the extra money right now, it is not gonna hurt to wait until later.....unless you are wanting to cook pizza right away. I also never use a v-rack. I have one, but it just collects dust. [p]I would get a good thermometer, both instant read (Thermapens are excellent!), and a leave in type like a polder (or off brand.I have a $5.00 one that works great).[p]Also, stock up on lump. You don't say where you are located, but in alot of places lump is a seasonal item. It is almost next to impossible to find it in the winter here in West Virginia. [p]I don't know much about the differences in grid versus dome temps. I know several people have done charts and studies on the differences. Maybe one of them will chime in with an answer. [p]Have fun learning and if you have any questions, just ask. Someone will always give you an answer or two or three.[p]~nikki[p]

• Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    nikkig, I'm from Vermont, near White River, been here 35 years but still a flatlander. I have already odered 5 bags of Maple King. My family live in Boyce, VA late 50's.
    Thanks[p]

• Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    Smokey, Pizza is a definite. Just had the guy who developed lazer eye surgery start a water buffalo farm near here. The fresh motzarela from the buffalos is good on all sorts of things. Thanks

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,
    The accessories that I use the most are in the following order.
    Bottle opener
    Polder type thermometer
    Grid lifter
    Platesetter, that's a must have IMO
    Firebricks (from you local brickyard)
    Raised grid
    Pizza stone
    Cover[p]On a side note... I've learned from experience .DO NOT USE A STEEL BRISTLE BRUSH on the grid. Bad for the finish.

• terrafirmay
    Options
    BucsFanJim,
    I'm curious, Jim, when do you use the grid lifter? I have never used mine. Why do you remove a hot grid? I start my lump, add my grid (and/or plate setter, firebricks, or pizza stone) and cook. I don't remove the "hot" parts until they have cooled. If I add more wood chips (rarely,) I drop them through the wires on the cooking grid. Tell me what you do.[p]And off the subject, Jim, the Bucs are as bad as our Redskins . . . except we beat ya . . . and that was our only win. We stink on rye.[p]****

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    terrafirmay,[p]Using it before cooks helps keep my hands clean, as well as anything else I'd be using to lift the dirty grid. [p]I also have used it when fires go out mid lo and slo and I have to get the meat out of the way to re-light.
  • BucsFanJim
    Options
    terrafirmay,
    I use the grid lifter alot! When I start my fire i wait until the fire gets close to where I want in temp and appearance wise. Place the grid on the Egg and burn off any remnants of the last cook. Then set the placesetter or firebrick in..etc.. I was using a tiny garden tool and got tire of hoping the hot grid wouldn't hit my leg/land on my feet.. etc.
    Yeah the Bucs look pretty bad. They have had to deal with injuries to the oldsters etc. Bad O-line... poor Brad Johnson just couldn't get out of the way fast enough.
    But... Ive' been a Bucs fan since the BAAAAAD old days so... I can deal with a little adversity for awhile.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,[p]One item you don't need IMHO is a electric starter. There are three things that all work better for me.
    1) MAPP Torch
    2) Green Heat from Walmart
    3) Weber Starter Cubes[p]Have fun with new egg!!![p]Steve-B

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,[p]Besides what you already have...[p]grid lifter
    -a must, channel locks will chip the ceramic coating on the grill[p]ash tool
    -a must to remove ash without taking out fire box[p]instant read thermometer
    -a must[p]polder thermometer
    -a must when you don't want to be opening the lid a lot...
    unless you can tell what the meat's internal temperature is just by looking
    -Weber has a nice wireless model for about $35, but you can get one for much less[p]platesetter
    -not absolutely necessary, but good for low & slow cooking[p]14" pizza stone
    -if you want to make pizza or bread[p]big thick leather fireplace gloves
    -not absolutely necessary, but nice to have[p]6" galvanized shanty cap
    -if your egg isn't under a shelter and you want to cook while it's raining[p]BGE lump charcoal (40-80 lbs depending on how much you grill)
    -any lump made by Royal Oak is good, try others so that you'll appreciate the good stuff though[p]charcoal lighter (not fluid)
    -sawdust/paraffin cubes/sticks
    -Weber starter cubes
    -MAPP torch[p]A BBQ Guru
    -not absolutely necessary, but nice for us newbies who stink at temperature control
    -they're not cheap, but they're worth it, Competitor model with 4cfm for 10cfm fan and LBGE adapter
    -http://www.thebbqguru.com/products.htm[p]wood chunks (hickory, pecan, alder)
    -it ain't smokin' without em'
    -chips will work[p]home made raised grid using 18" Weber grill and 4 sets of 4" stainless steel bolts w/nuts and washers
    -The Naked Whiz a good site about all this stuff too
    -http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid[p]disposable foil pans
    -20 for $5 as S*m's Club[p]comfortable lawn chair[p]a cooler that holds at least a 12 pack of your favorite beverage[p]Did I miss anything?

[ul][li]TNW ceramic cooking site[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]I keep a box of the cubes handy, but I only use my MAPP torch. The first buy is 45 bucks but that's the ignitor thingy and the first tank. Replacement tanks are but 6 dollars. [p]
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander, don't forget the 3 cows and 5 pigs. That should cover your first couple months. :)[p]LVM

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,"If I BOND"... once you cook a meal on mr. EGG, you will wish you had bonded yesterday...or 10 years ago... waiting til next year is a year without your EGG friends, EGGTOBERFEST, and consuming all those eggstordinary meals...

• tmEGGer
    tmEGGer Posts: 92
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]You listed both a platesetter AND firebricks. I have been using firebricks only. Is there a reason to have both?[p]Thanks,
    NutmEGGer