Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT OT Annual Camp-Out with LBGE

Options
Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to our family place in Vermont for a weekend car-camping expedition. Our kids are young and enjoy going away with "the cousins".

packed up the cliche'-mobile with the bare necessities01Packed.jpg

took the Large BGE this year because two more were joining us. I managed to tie it to a hand truck and get it down some granite steps. took out the guts and n*tted it up onto the tailgate. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

view from the rear view mirror.
02RearView.jpg

Base Camp.
06aBaseCamp.jpg

The Goobers
03theKids.jpg

Spent the day on a rental pontoon boat. The thing was a toilet. Good god. But it was the only one available. My oldest grabbed some goggles and tried to catch small-mouth barehanded as the cousins chummed with Smart-Food popcorn. He says he touched them more than a few times. Here are a couple in the pic with him.

04Swimmin.jpg

Our anchor.
05Anchor.jpg

Was a bungee cord we wrapped around a rock and tied with a six foot rope from a bumper. We debated how deep the water was, but had few reservations about whether we should risk tossing it in and tearing off the cleat. They would never have noticed the damage. The boat had had the canopy torn off due to passing under a bridge. No lie here, you need to literally duck to go under this bridge. I have no idea how someone could have gone under and not considered lowering the canopy.

This is a sad photoshop effort. hahaha Took a pic of the steaks on, and the flash went off. Ugh. turned off the flash and the pic was blurry. So. i 'shopped the blurry fire pic into the sharper pic of the egg. Sue me.
06P-Shoppedsteakshahaha.jpg

A barn-find cast iron pot from last year's trip made the trek back and was put to use making couscous.
07Couscous.jpg

On the trip home, took the kids to a mountain 'activity center' with bungee trampolines, climbing walls, etc.

Here's my youngest. He's a climber.
08Climbing.jpg

and three of the four on the alpine slide
10alpine_slide.jpg

spectacular weather.... hot during the day, hi-50s at night. no humidity. deer in the field, no mosquitos to speak of, was unbeatable.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Looks like a fun trip Jeff....We are going to the mountains in a couple of weeks and try and get away from this Georgia heat.

Larry
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sweet memories made for sure!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    Did you ride the alpine slide? I remember doing that as a kid and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Just wondering if it really was that cool or was it just because I was a young kid.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Looks like a great time!
    It's good when cousins can spend time together.
  • i did. we all did (adults).

I tend to jam the handle forward and just go, top speed. I love that stuff.

I let my niece in the stripes go ahead, and I let her get far down the track, but i caught up to her. I would stop, let her get ahead, then catch up to her and ram her. :evil:

The pic of the kids was their second trip down.

Back twenty years ago i am convinced the track was cast concrete. the track is mostly fiberglass, but there were still some sections in concrete, and my brother swears they are/were faster.
  • thx. yeah, was wonderfully cool later in the day. i had no long pants, but the fire at night took care of any chill. as did the beer.
  • whenever something went wrong, or we found there was no ladder for the boat, or a seat snapped apart, or the kids would get into a fight, my middle brother and i would look sideways at each other, take a sip of beer and calmly say "memories. we're making memories"

hahahaha
  • yeah. the girls are my older brother's kids. my middle brother came and brought his younger son, who is 25 or so and hadn't been up there since he was my youngest son's age (7). he had a blast. good for them to get together.
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    Stike,
    Looks like you guys had a ball. Nice pics, looks like alot of fun and food. Definately my kind of place! i'll bring the beer & Capn' Morgan next time!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Doesn't look OT to me. Looks like good food and fun! Nice steak pic.

Mike
  • thanks.
    the menu was a simple one. i used the thing purely to feed. hahaha

steaks friday night; bacon on a two tier set up saturday morning (eggs on the camp fire); lunch on the boat; saturday night was chicken, burgers, steak tips etc. with couscous from the campfire.

breakfast at "The Wooden Soldier" diner and on the road for a day of stopping at stuff on the way home. easy trip.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Vacations like that are pure magic for kids... especially when they can be shared with cousins. Looking back, those are the ones that I remember.

Later this month we'll be spending a week in Grafton, VT.... will be like stepping back in time.

Nice shots.

john
  • only one food pic, and photoshopped at that!

here are the two steak pics side by side.
    :whistle:

poorsteakpics.jpg
  • thank John.

Pics are a little 'snapshot'-ish, but what the heck.

grafton is an hour way from where we were on the New York border, near Bald Mountain. You should have great temps this time of year.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    is that the slide on attitash, a friend of mine near killed himself on that slide when we were kids, flew right off it screwing around :laugh: :laugh: road rash head to toe :laugh: im sure they fixed it so you cant go 90 on it anymores
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Looks like a Great time for all
  • Pico.

I came around the corner going like a raped ape, and there were two riders in front of me (my son and niece) stopped. another guy laying on the ground off the track.

I jammed on the brakes and reflexively stuck my hand out. burned my hand a little. turns out the guy was fixing the track.

yeesh. howzabout a sign or an orange shirt? i thought there'd been an accident.

yeah, my brother swears they were faster 20 years ago. track is all concrete and the sled only has wheels under the center, not at four corners. so you are always scraping on gliders a bit.

still. would be fun with nine beers on.
  • yep. all round a good show.
    thx
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Beautiful. you can see how much the children enjoyed it in their faces.....& sure dad had a great time too cooking..
  • We were a little tired out there on the water all day, but dinner really came together. I had fun cooking, but mainly because everyone ate EVERYTHING. massive appetites after swimming.

Thanks beli
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Great pics and great memories,love the pics of the kids.After the hard day of playing It had to be great to come back to some great egged food!! Thanks for sharing

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • thanks. yeah, i was dragging a little but we managed to get the food cooked and time pretty well. kids hit the sack at around 9 or so. unfortunately, the adults packed it in not much later. hahahaha
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    glad you had another stellar trip to "the red barn" at least that is what i call it in my minds eye.. did you find any critters this year like you did last year? i forget weather it was a snake or possom carcass or something in between but you found some kind of critter either live or dead last year :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• it was still there. the kids flipped it over this year and were fascinated that it was perfectly flat on the other side.

no new pic, but here's last year's...

deadskunk.jpg

my son wrote a story about it in school last year entitled "The Dead Thing in the Barn". Teacher posted it on the bulletin Board in the hall along with the other kids' stories, stuff like "My Trip to Disney World" and "My favorite Dolly". hahaha

'the barn' is filled with lotsa col stuff. got an old wood courting canoe that i patched up in the late 80s. car parts ('56 Merc and '32 Ford), a working Ford 9N tractor with sickle and deck mowers (for the field).... lots of cool stuff for the kids to look thru. Found a double barrel (damascus steel) shotgun too. busted stock. and i found an old bamboo fly rod someone snapped...

i stuck this porcelain Ma Bell sign (about 16x16 inches) thru a crack in the boards. wonder what that might be worth on eBay :laugh:

public_phone.jpg
  • ha.

cool.
    maybe my kids will be able to go to college after all

Ma Bell Sign on eBay
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you might want to go take yours out of the weather.. if it is worth that much...

pretty funny about the story on the wall. i guess you will get that.. i can see the horror on ther other parents faces as they read that one :laugh:

just car parts no old fixer upper for you and your son to tear into? proabably better that way not enough parts to make a whole car :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• my brother's is the '32 ford. was doing a frame-off restoration but hasn't had time. the engine and everything is there, rear end, even had four new blackwall tires, but they are probably toast by now

when i was a kid, my dad's '35 ford woodie was in the barn. we would set the toilet paper on the running board. hahaha

he since restored it and sold it

the parts for the '56 merc are what was left over from my dad buying two and restoring them into one. fenders, eyebrows, bumperettes, etc. not much there.

the tractor works though :evil:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Gotta say it looks like a lot of good times were had by all. Looks like a beautiful place to camp as well.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Thanks for the vicarious vacation Stike! :)
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Dude, I'm jealous. We've been near 100 since the end of May and over for a while now. We're setting record lows at 85 degrees. This morning @ 04:00 the heat index was 98*.

I really need to get up there some day. Thanks for posting, it makes me long for fall.