Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Divan and Bread on SBGE

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so i've been dieing to make some bread. I also made probably one of my if not the most favorite meals: Chicken Divan. I love, love this dish. This recipe has been passed down i think 4 generations. I'd like to make this at an eggfest someday. And the bread was awesome, although the bottom got a little bit overdone. I did a small loaf just to see how it would turn out...Both the bread and chicken divan were made the night before. A little bit of prep time involved but you can stick in refridge which makes for an easy cook the next day...

DSCN2011.jpg
In a preheated egg & DO @ 450*. Could have done better on the parchiment paper... guess i didn't need a 2 foot piece of paper for a 6" loaf of bread... :whistle:

DSCN2015.jpg
On a rack to cool. Covered and brought egg temps down to around 375-400 for:

DSCN2021.jpg
This guy... it's chicken, brocolli, muschrooms, extra sharp cheese, curry and some other stuff. I love this dish...

DSCN2029.jpg
So after the chicken divan was done i went ahead and cut into the bread... It looked great, except for

DSCN2017.jpg
This part... Could be better, but was not horrible. Will drop temps down to i dunno... 400*-425 next time..

DSCN2035-1.jpg
at this point i was salivating...

This meal was definately good eats, thanks for looking.

Comments

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Beautiful...
    Also, pretty much everyone on this forum loves char, and I really hope you didn't scrape some of that off. :P

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chicken Dive In (what it is referred to at our table).

It is a little early for a heavy meal right now, but I would absolutely eat that entire dish of CD right now. Greeat stuff, and I will be looking to cook our next batch on the egg instead of the inside oven.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Would LOVE the recipe on both, but especially the bread!
  • highpress
    Options
    Hitch,
    i think you'll love it in the egg. I always grill the chicken on the egg, and cook the whole dish on the egg. Definatley adds a nice flavor and smoke to the dish you can't get in the oven. Don't get me wrong, I'd lick the plate clean if it had been made in the oven. This just puts a nice little twist to it... .
  • highpress
    Options
    OS,

here's the link to the bread recipe i used. I cut this recipe in exactly half. Also, MountainGriller was using a large with platesetter and stone. Where as i was using a small with just 2 firebrick splits side by side for the DO. that may be why my bread a little "char"....
    I let my breast rest for 24 hours. Not for any reason just because it worked out that way.. Other than that i pretty much followed it exactly.. Put a couple slits in the top before baking, sprayed a little water on dough before putting in DO. Also only went for like 20 covered 5 uncovered because i had split the recipe in half. Hope that helps, good luck.

As far as the divan recipe, i'm at work right now but can get it later when i'm home.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=832346&catid=1
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Awesome! Been trying my hand at bread lately - but none has turned out as pretty as yours. I agree, that the platesetter with a raised stone would probably avoid the "char" on the bottom. But, even with the char, it still looked great - around my house, that just makes it "blackened bread". ;)
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That looks really good