Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggceptional Fajitas

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I made my Cinco de Mayo Fajitas again. It must have been the particular piece of meat that I used, because this batch came out great. The meat was very tender and not chewy. The only thing that I may have done differently is that I pounded the meat a little more than I did last time. The Skirt steak was cooked for three, three and five at about 500. Wow! [p]The flavor, the flavor …[p]The chicken breasts were simply sprinkled with fresh limejuice and kosher salt before I grilled them for twelve minutes per side. They came out awesome as well.[p]I also grilled a half-pound of shrimp. Due to the timing of the meal, the shrimp ended up getting cooked naked on bamboo skewers. I did soak the shrimp in salt water twice and fresh water once for about ten minutes each soak. The grill time was about four minutes at 400 flipping every minute. I really did want to make JCA’s Glad Shrimp, but that will have to wait for another day. [p]I also had another first; I made fresh Guacamole. Guacamole is not a favorite of mine but I was eating this stuff with a spoon.[p]I fed five hungry adults and four children with one skirt steak two chicken breast and a half-pound of shrimp. All this was cooked out of a small BGE with Mesquite Charcoal. I do miss my KennyG Turbo Grate; I burned out the first one. It would have helped to keep the temperature up.[p]Fresh is best!
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds like a great meal. What was the reason for soaking the shrimp in the saltwater bath twice and then fresh water? I've heard of doing that with fish to remove some of the blood from the meat but never with shrimp. Now that I think about it (look out when that happens) I usually soak my shrimp in water, just to keep them from drying out though, never salt water and never multiple times. Just curious.[p]My wife is a BIG fan of fresh Guacamole as well, makes it quite a bit. I've not been sold on it though.[p]Congrats on the great meal.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I don't have the experience you do with the small Egg, but I just added an expanded metal grate on mine and it works great. As I understood KennyG's setup, it had legs of sort supporting the grate - I just have a piece of expanded metal in place of the grate (no support). I have only had it in there for 3-4 cooks now - so I guess they can burn out over time.[p]Tim
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    sprinter,
    I was watching Ming Tsai on East Meets West late one night. He told the story of how his grandfather always “Returned the Shrimp to the Sea” prior to grilling them. This was the technique that he used and really seems to work well to plump up the shrimp and keep the moist while grilling.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Always enjoy that show. Thanks for that bit of wisdom.[p]Oh! to think what my man Ming could do with an egg!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ